Can I keep my 496HO from starting? >

Can I keep my 496HO from starting?

Notices

Can I keep my 496HO from starting?

Old 10-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info.

I think Griff makes a good point. Cranking it without starting it probably has the same impact as starting it and letting it run slowly (maybe even faster to get oil to the filter).

I'm gonna try the kill switches just for fun, but I'm not sure the boat is wired to crank them over without the cords in place.

BL6 - Thanks for the input. I'll try the pre-fill trick on the next change. I didn't know the filters could trap a little bit of oil like that without spilling everywhere. They're Amsoil filters.

I'm from Cali. I start the thing every month or so at the least. What's a "spring startup"?

John
Old 10-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

On a 496MAG or HO just unplug the injector 10 pin plug on the harness next to the manifold, it won't start. Then you can crank a 496 till your batteries are dead or your starter motor overheats and fries (joke). You should always drain your oil after the oil has been warmed which means you've got to run the engine. The oil will be warm and well distributed and starting the motor after a filter change will not be a problem as the filter fills in about 5-10 seconds with the motor running at idle. If you're taking a boat motor out of storage after a long non-use its a good idea to prime the motor by cranking only or a preluber system before running the motor since most of the oil has drained off the critical surfaces.

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar