Old 02-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piston rings

Gap less VS file fit and what brand.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Stock engine ? Performance ? Supercharged ? Etc ?

Need some more info to give a good answer.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 02-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Registered

large oval head ports, forged crank & L2465 pistons, replacing the edelbrock performer rpm intake, replacing reed 243/250 cam with a 561/576 lift.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Carm,
I personally have not seen a big advantage to the gapless rings. I have only put them in an engine one time at the request of a customer.

Depending on the bore size, more often than not, I dont even order the file fits to begin with. If the bore is new and the correct size, most of the time the non file fit rings will be pretty close out of the box. Sometimes you even have to file them some. If i do need file fits, I generally use Speed Pro. They are a pretty tried and true ring that works well and does not have problems.

Just my opinion,
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 02-05-2008, 07:28 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I know the circumstances are different, but maybe this will be food for thought. I once built a small block chevy drag race ( car ) engine with gapless rings and gas ported pistons. They sealed real well, but didnt last long. I would not use them again.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Gold Member

Default rings

like vinnyp ,i also built a drag motor and gas ported the pistons.they sealed real good and looked good on the gage,but the bores wornd out quicker.i would use speed-pro rings and check the bore as said before.just my 2cents worth.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:38 PM

This is an interesting thread. I am about to start a new engine for the boat and was intending on using gapless rings. I have used them in the past with good results in non-marine applications, but would like to hear some more experiences in boats. Maybe I will re-think my descision.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For this application stay with a Speed Pro premium moly ring set. I personally prefer file fits so I can dial in what I want for end gap per build. On this engine I would gap the top ring at .018 and the second at .016. There is alot of specifics when you start talking about rings and sealing. Here again depending on the application certain ring packages will work better than others. Ring widths, tensions, styles, and finish hone all will fit specific engines. I have run Childs and Albert ZGS rings in performance marine applications and they work very well. This is a Zero gap second ring with a standard moly top. With proper hone cross hatch and finish grit , maximum power and longevity can be achieved. Alot of trick technology is in this area right now! But remember, Drag Racing is Drag Racing and Marine is Offshore endurance!
Old 02-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Registered

Don't know if it makes a difference but the block is bored .030 over.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest you follow the prescribed app that mrhorsepower1 posted. C&A ZGS 2nd ring works great in marine applications.

Again the important thing here is Marine VS 1/4 milers.

Quick Reply: piston rings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.