Notices

trim tabs

Old 04-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsPeanut
I do have hyd steering but im still getting mixed signals from everyone. I would love some more input on wether i need tabs or not. I love the boat and i want to get every thing i can get out of it. I have ran it it at 4200 rpm at about 62 mph but i want more. OSO please help me out. Big shout out uo j-bonz for helping me out with everything.
I agree, I would still like some facts on going eithee way with the tabs. Ido know most agree we still have at least 1000 rpm's out of the engine to go. 2 weeks nut and then we will find out more.........
Thanks for all thats helped out my good friend, Itspeanut.
Jr.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

280's used to have a warning cast right into the top of them...

"Do not use on boats under 24' "

You can't diagnose chine walk unless you understand why it's happening. There are many reasons, including exceeding the design limitations of the hull (speed), changes in balance (weight distribution) excessive trim, improper props, etc. Chine walk occurs when the hull loses it's ability to stay up (lift) and it falls, causing the boat to oscillate on its outside contact surfaces (hard chine). Tabs are just going to push the bow down, slowing the boat and probably presenting a dangerous ride attitude at max speed.

If I had to guess, you either have too much motor setback, too much prop height (x-dimension) or a prop with too much stern lift.

There was some posting a while back on brackets and setback on this hull. Supposedly the long brackets can cause problems. My recollection isn't that good. You'll have to plow thru some searches. Try posting in the Apache section- or maybe PM'ing Eric Froberg.

You could also have air in your steering. The only way to tell is to bleed it very thoroughly. it may feel firm when you tug on it but at hard load, it could be squishy.

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 04-24-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the steering was hydraulic as well on my unit. ended up swaping the big 3.o for a 2.5 . which is why i suggested it.came out to a 4 1/5 inch setback, plus the 4 built into the 2.5 shorty midsection. the weight is an issue. high c.g of that big 3.0 power head only intenseifies the issue once it starts. plus the set back. i would hope not something like a gill bracket but more like the stainlessmarine box6,8,or 12 inch kind.
more than likely the bottom has issues, starting the whole cycle of events for that hull.
had similiar issues with a 30 superboat, 300 x's 4 inch cmc jackplates. ran 92 mph. getting thru the 75/76-8 barrier was hell. th ebottom did have issues as it too ended up being trued. however the same boat same year same size and weight, just used the 2.5's . different beast..

ya dont see to many 22 allisons with 300's now do ya.
ever see or better yet run one. and watch or feel what happens right at that point,? yup.

f that.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Registered

Thanks for replying. In two weeks I will be down to give it run. Dont worry, live jackets and lanyards will be worn..............
Old 05-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Registered

ItsPeanut,
Well, 2days to go and I will be on a flight........... Cant wait to check out the new rig and give it a spin,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Jr
Old 05-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Registered

Ohhh my liver.....................