cool fuel system and oil cooler questions >

cool fuel system and oil cooler questions

Notices

cool fuel system and oil cooler questions

Old 04-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cool fuel system and oil cooler questions

Ok, someone out there has to have run into this before. I am currently working re-powering my 242 Formula that had a 454 Mag in it with a 454 Mag MPI. I bought a complete set up with pretty much everthing included. One of the differences I noticed when I set the 2 side by side is that the MPI has the cool fuel system on it. I assume this is to prevent vapor lock, right? The problem is that the oil cooler from the original motor also had a power steering fluid cooler integrated in it.

My question is this, do I NEED to cool the power steering fluid? Will the fuild overheat? If so what will happen, will I lose just power steering or will I totally lose all steering. If I need to cool power steering fluid, what is the best way to rig up a cooler, assuming I can't go without the cool fuel set up?

Recomendations and suggestions welcomed
Old 04-21-2008, 06:46 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fluid can expand & overflow making a mess & hazard.. I would think in most cases that would be it, other than being tough on the other steering components & seals.. However in extreme cases some other bad stuff happening may be possible as well.. Jamie/ Lakeside
Old 04-22-2008, 11:27 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a new double (power steering and engine oil) cooler from Revolution Marine. I mounted it on the back of the engine above the bell housing. It is in the raw water path before the Cool Fuel and has worked great for 3 going on 4 years now.