MSD are they improving them yet????? >

MSD are they improving them yet?????

Notices

MSD are they improving them yet?????

Old 08-13-2008, 09:01 AM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default MSD are they improving them yet?????

Just bought my 3rd 6m-2. Should have tried CRANE but I needed it right away. I don't understand why they don't improve them ...... I guess because we are just "stupid" and keep buying them.... MSD is the biggest.
Did you ever notice in NASCAR they have two mounted w/a switch if one fails the just go to he other. Mine is mounted on the transom vibration/heat isolated. There are dozens of threads posted here about MSD failures.

Randy
Old 08-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CNC
Just bought my 3rd 6m-2. Should have tried CRANE but I needed it right away. I don't understand why they don't improve them ...... I guess because we are just "stupid" and keep buying them.... MSD is the biggest.
Did you ever notice in NASCAR they have two mounted w/a switch if one fails the just go to he other. Mine is mounted on the transom vibration/heat isolated. There are dozens of threads posted here about MSD failures.

Randy
I run the standard 6A-L with no problems...
Old 08-13-2008, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CNC

Randy

But they'll run two boxes regardless who's make they are... MSD, Mallory, Crane they always have two boxes to eliminate problems when racing. They have two complete systems, boxes, coils, pick-ups, etc. Some will even have different timing in the different setups.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I agree that the Nascar guys will run two setups of whatever ignition system they might use,but hardly a race goes by without the viewers hearing that someone switched to the other box. They used to be able to switch to a rev limiter with a different chip but haven't heard that lately. If you review the threads here on MSD systems over the years,some guys have excellent luck with them while others have had poor luck with the boxes and corrosion inside the MSD distributors. My 1998 boat has the 800SC's with the stock Thunderbolt setup. I change more plugs than guys with the MSD's but the system has been bulletproof. For what it's worth....
Old 08-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MSD on three sets of engines in two boats. 12 years & still going. Now if I never blew a drive or engine life would be better. (I did have to change the distributor caps & rotors)
Old 08-14-2008, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

The real problem I think is with the 6m2 boxes themselves. I ran 6al and 7 boxes on countless project cars,trucks,boats,dragsters etc and never had any real problems.I used to read about all the msd problems people claimed to have had and didn't really believe them until last year. I bought a 6m-2 box last year for my boat,junk out of the box,ran intermittently,would just quit or not start at all,broke up at 5500-6000 even with no chip in it.bought a second box AND a msd tester. The second box wouldn't work at all brand new out of the package.Got a third box,junk also, I found by wiggling the harness where it was crimped going into the case it would spark here and there.Called MSD several times,each time they gave me the run around about bad grounds on my boat etc,they had nothing to say when I told them that I had their tester hooked right to it on the bench and it wouldn't even work,they had no interest in my findings on the harness crimping problem. Sent everything back to Jegs and got a crane box,problem free and the msd tester works on it also. After having 3 different msd boxes with various problems in a row I wouldn't trust one any ways if it did work,Smitty
Old 08-14-2008, 01:56 AM
Registered

Glad to know if just wasn't my box. This gets expensive besides reliability issues.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also run the 6AL, have been running on my Jet for 5 years and plan to run the same on my scarab! No problems!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Been using a Crane HI-6M ignition box for the last 7 years on both engines....one was even drenched with hi pressure water for several minutes during my first time out back in 2002---still working today. I even keep a new spare box, but have never had to use it.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:37 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Oh, if anyone has MSD issues or would like to upgrade yo u may want to check out this place.
http://www.techwestracing.com/

I have not used them but would atleast call to scoop them out if I was having MSD issues.

Quick Reply: MSD are they improving them yet?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.