Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
MSD are they improving them yet????? >

MSD are they improving them yet?????

Notices

MSD are they improving them yet?????

Old 08-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious if anyone here has run the Jacobs marine ignition system. I was given one by Jacobs years ago to try. Never any issues with it. I never see it mentioned and just wondered if anyone else has run it.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seen too many MSD problems to waste good money to replace nearly bullet proof TB-VI ignitions. Particularly out on the water
My NA 540s dynoed at 661 hp @ 5400 with TB's and 50,000 volt coils last spring
Old 08-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by topfuel
I am curious if anyone here has run the Jacobs marine ignition system. I was given one by Jacobs years ago to try. Never any issues with it. I never see it mentioned and just wondered if anyone else has run it.
I have two Jacobs Marine Masters and Ultra Coils I plan to use - the fellow I bought them from said he had no problems... HE said they were great, so Ill know better once they are on and engines are running.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Registered

Default MSD Issues

Good evening, one of my customers sent me a copy of this thread. The MSD 6M's are urethane backfilled to make them water proof by MSD. The down side to this is the main amps usually will burn themselves up. I have seen them die after 6 months use or less as well as longer periods. The urethane backfill makes it impossible to repair. We suggest our clients take a look at the MSD 6ALN as a better solution. It is backfilled with a clear silicone backfill that does not overheat the parts.( Similar to MSD 6AL minus the backfill) Another option is the MSD 6631 HVC box which will need the MSD 8250 coil. This box has the clear silicone backfill and it has a greater energy output. ( Just slightly less than a MSD 7al-3 box) We have both versions running on may customer setups, Hydros, Swamp buggies and Mud racers with No failures to date. I hope this helps provide your group some options for future upgrade options.

ep33510/Pat Collins

[email protected]
http://www.techwestracing.com
Old 11-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Registered

I'm running the MSD HVC with the 8250 coil (NASCAR set-up)on my BBC.
I also run an MSD 85551 Pro Billet Dist.
I ran the Crane marine set up on my race boat (Sanger) but switched to the Crane HI 6N and PS 91 E Coil (also NASCAR set up) with a Crane 8570 Pro Billet dist.
NASCAR run the twin set up for redundancy, I considering running it for safety! The power output of the HVC is beyond both the 6M versions and it's sealed as well, besides, if it can survive NASCAR I think if mounted safely and hooked up correctly with an noise filter (A MUST in a boat where the ground signal fluctuates) then I think it should do just fine.

My thoughts anyway, I like the HVC and the Crane HI6N. I don't go near the MSD 6M!

Good Luck!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one of the big problems I ran into was the dist pick-up failing, and from what I'm told now, they are using junk chinese parts and the failure rate is very high..was for me....hell the chinese can't even make a good fortune cookie any more !!!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Wobble
I had some 6m-2 problems, but after talking to one of their tech guys I installed an MSD-8830 noise filter in the + line to the box.

I have had no further problems, he thought that big spikes caused by the starter could eventually damage the box.

I see that it is now recommended for 7 & 8 series boxes and in my experience should be used with the six boxes also.

http://www.msdignition.com/product.a...659&terms=8830
This is exactly right.

Everyone that I know that has had problems with these boxes that has switched to the noise filter has been perfect ever since. I am not sure if this is the same part number. I will have to look it up.

High powered radios, starters, batteries with a lot of hours on them, engine compartment lights all cause problems with intermittend voltage and it only takes one time to zap the box.

I just pulled 2 of the oldest looking MSD setups I have ever seen off a pair of old engines and they were stuill working perfectly.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

One of my customers fried 2 boxes in one day from intermittent voltage caused by running the radio while he was cleaning the boat.

We bought to more of them and found out about the filter. He has no problems since and MSD replaced the bad boxes for free. He has 2 new ones in the box siting on the shelf in case another breaks.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Registered

i use nsd for 20years works good the dist. got corrorsoin inside it .???

Last edited by bajabob; 11-18-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:27 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

The Crane HI-6M boxes I installed had a capacitor/noise filter included in it's packaging box. Last one was a few yrs ago so I'm not sure if it is still included or not. Probably is.

Quick Reply: MSD are they improving them yet?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.