731 cam, 496 exhaust >

731 cam, 496 exhaust

Notices

731 cam, 496 exhaust

Old 05-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 731 cam, 496 exhaust

I'm in the process of gathering parts for a 454. I'm planning to use stock 496 alum. exhaust and would like to use a 168731 cam. Am I going to need to lengthen the risers or should I be ok?

Rest of the combo: ported 088s, weiand dual plane(7535), holley 800, forged internals, 9.3-9.5 comp. ratio. Boat is a 23 open bow, roughly 4000 lbs, and I plan to prop at 5500-5600.

BTW, still shopping for: pistons (.040 or .060), decent rods, gen VI timing set, and a set of 1.7 rockers.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Higher is not always better

Those 496 aluminum stock manifolds and risers will be fine with that cam spec. However your rpms for propping are off a bit. that cam combination in your 454 will make peak power at about 5100 -5200 rpms and I would not prop your boat at that far past the power peak unless you really upgrade the valve train stability and you will just have less power and torque at that point and reduce reliability and engine life. Set your rev-limiter at 5400rpms and prop for 5300-5350rpms. You be happier and safer.

When you say your shopping for parts be careful, cheaper on some off these parts, the wrong pistons, rods , internals and machine work can help you end up with a box of junk parts. Go with a proven matched, reliable, balanced rotating assembly!
Use only a well equipped qualified machine shop with good equipment, knowledge and excellent refferals and only assemble this engine yourself if you have the proper training, skills and measurement tools to do the job yourself.
Only buy and build your engine ONCE! Otherwise buy this engine from a shop who can deliver the final correct part with a warranty!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 05-15-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ray, I was hoping you would chime in due to your 496 experience. As far as parts shopping, it's strictly a budget thing. I've already accepted that I'm probably going to miss this season due to rounding up parts using the funds available. The rotating assembly will be balanced once I have the rest of it. I'm currently looking into a set of Eagle rods and SRP pistons to use with my GM forged crank (new), but I haven't had a chance to get my hands on them yet. The pistons have a 14cc dome so I should be in range as far as comp. ratio goes. Thanks