Best Oil choice for supercharged 454 without thermostat >

Best Oil choice for supercharged 454 without thermostat

Notices

Best Oil choice for supercharged 454 without thermostat

Old 05-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Oil choice for supercharged 454 without thermostat

Can someone help me select the oil I should be using for best protection and performance? I have a 2330 Chaparral with a 454 MPI that runs a 7lb boost from Procharger. I should mention I do not run a thermostat based on prochargers recommendation. My engine really never gets that warms so that has me confused as to the proper oil weight I should be using. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I've tried them all and found Mobil 1 V-Twin (20-50) the best for my blower motor application.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Registered

Does not running a thermostatat impact this at all? Procharger says just use the standard recommended oil, but I doubt my engine ever gets above 150? Thanks for the information by the way. Oh...so you run a thermostat in your application and what are your running?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because your engine temp isin't getting warm doesen't mean your oil temp isin't HOT
Old 05-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Registered

n the other hand running the block at 150 isn't doing anything in there any good either and will cause vastly accelerated wear. your choice , of course, and proper oil temp is crucial in all respects... too cold is just as bad as too hot... i suggest you monitor both. i'm sure the pro charger guys don't want detonation from high combustion chamber temps but if the piston/bore clearences never get where they need to be then you are almost as bad off. you'll end up w/ fuel contaminated oil and that will be that.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Registered

So would this group recomment putting in a 120 thermostat? I should admit I don't know a lot about engines, but do know the block needs to be warm enough for proper ignition etc. I also have a transom cooler which takes water after the inner cooler (and engine block?) and puts it on the lower unit. Is this hooked up correctly? Seems like pretty strange to put heated water on the transom?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Registered

well... recognizing that i am of the minority opinion on this forum in this regard, my reccomedation would be a 165 or there abouts. i think 150 in the block is too cold.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Registered

Mobil 1 Vtwin is tough to beat although Amsoil's new dominator racing oils look nice.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Registered

Oil should be at least 180*F. I would also think your block could stand more heat also.

Ken

Mobil V-Twin .....tough to beat.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Registered

Assuming that your engine was built with the proper cylinder to wall clearences, you don't want to run a a thermostat more than 120 deg. Merc. used 140 degree thermostats for years on all of their carb engines. Any hotter than that will just promote detonation. Arizona Speed and Marine sells a 120 degree thermostat for use in their supercharged engines. It's a simple step to keep cylinder head temps low to help prevent detonation. As long as your oil temp is in the 200-240 dgree range, you're all set.

As far as what oil, that depends on what clearences were built into the engine and what oil temp and pressure you're running. If your oil tends to the cold side, I would use a muti grade synthetic like Mobil 1 15-50. The Mobil 1 20-50 would work better on a hotter running engine, it's noticably thicker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.