what anti freeze for 496 engines? >

what anti freeze for 496 engines?

Notices

what anti freeze for 496 engines?

Old 05-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what anti freeze for 496 engines?

what anti freeze should be used in these engines? does merc sell their own brand because what ever they use is currently in the reservoir and i don't know if i should mix it with something else?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

If you are topping off I would buy from merc. If you are flushing I would use any good brand dexcool and distilled water.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 26sonic
what anti freeze should be used in these engines? does merc sell their own brand because what ever they use is currently in the reservoir and i don't know if i should mix it with something else?
It's Dexcool (orange-red)

Originally I said there isn't a difference between Dexcool and the red/orange dexcool from merc. I took for granted that everyone would know that Merc's jug of this stuff is pre-diluted so you don't mix it with water. It's still Dexcool but use out of jug only. If you put pure antifreeze in the motor it can freeze at temps below 29-30 degrees. This also explains why it's so much from the Merc Dealer and less from auto stores etc. I apologize for any confusion.

Don't mix it with anyting else but Dexcool and water. If you mix it with green, they're not compatible and it will corrode the heck out of everything.

Last edited by SDFever; 05-20-2009 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Merc's Dexcool is pre-diluted
Old 05-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Actually small amounts of green intermixed with dexcool is supposed to be OK. I have never gotten a straight answer as to what a "small amount" is. I wouldn't recommend mixing them, but it isn't catastrophic until its a signifigant amount.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
Actually small amounts of green intermixed with dexcool is supposed to be OK. I have never gotten a straight answer as to what a "small amount" is. I wouldn't recommend mixing them, but it isn't catastrophic until its a signifigant amount.
They are chemically not compatible. Corrosion will happen. Just a matter of how much and where. In a pinch you can just use water. If it's not freezing it won't matter anyway and the more water you have in the system the better it cools. Pure antifreeze will typically run hotter unless that's what you're going for.

If your engine sits 3 inches from a solid bulkhead and that little weep hole starts leaking on your circ pump it will grind your gears. Just one mans opinion.

Also I tried an experiment at home. Poured green and red together in a cup for a while and it got sort of jelly like. If it's thicker, it will not move around as well as normal. Carry on -