Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Huber Transmisions ????? >

Huber Transmisions ?????

Notices

Huber Transmisions ?????

Old 06-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

If the coolers should be replaced, how about the lines going to the coolers???

Last year I smoked a huber. Clutch pack got fried. Lost fluid thru trs tailstock plug. Flushed my lines and cooler, had my buddy replace the clutch pack and seals, trans been great ever since. Maybe I got lucky.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Had to learn it the hard way. We were at Smoke on the Water in MI with the Nashville Catz 43 Nortech a few years ago. We broke a tranny trying to get the boat off the trailer(the ramp wasn't deep enough and the tranny's only have 2 cluthes for reverse) We had a spare with us, so I cleaned the cooler and put in the new tranny. We idled out about 10-15 min and got it up on plane. We almost made it a mile before the tranny cut loose. I didn't have another tranny so I found Mike Fiore and bought one from the Outerlimits big rig. I took the cooler in there and washed it out in the parts washer for about an hour. We then ran 10 cans of brake cleaner through it and blew it out thoroughly with compressed air. I was absolutely sure that it was as clean as it could get. I got it together about 3 am and we went out in the morning for the run. This time we made it almost 3 miles. I was so mad at Bam thinking something was wrong with two of the trannys. I called Mark at Bam and the first thing he asked was if I changed the cooler. It didn't really hit me until he asked me that if a customer brings me an engine that is blown up if I reuse the oil cooler. Of course I said no. I still thought he was full of $hit. So I changed the cooler to appease him and put in yet another tranny and that was that. He hit the nail on the head. We ran 5 more runs until the accident at Texoma without any more problems. So I can't take the credit for it....it was all Mark at Bam. It was a very expensive lesson, but one I will never forget.
Eddie
OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good thing we only had 1 spare tranny or we would have torched a third im sure ...

Eddie what fluid ya'll runnin now ???
Old 06-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't run near as much power as you but I have good luck with Amsoil super shift racing transmission fluid.

Also If you are running the 7 plate cooler on the bell housing, The hose from the top of the tranny goes to the bottom of the cooler and the other hose goes from the top side of the cooler to bottom of the tranny.

Kris Vogt
Old 06-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

I would use the AMSOIL Super Shift. Its Ford Type F direct replacement.

That is what Earl and Kendall from Texoma Marine Gear Always Recommended.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
Eddie what fluid ya'll runnin now ???
Whatever the Mapco gas station has that day
Old 06-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Sounds like something else is going on Bill. Too many guys I know have been smoking hubers lately. Whether behind a 600HP mill or 1300HP mill.

Did you lose fluid at all? Some guys have been blowing front pump seals.
No front seals blown ,was kickin fluid out the vent ..... I'm thinkin Eddie is dead ballz on with the cooler idear we torched a trans last year in some 5 footers in lake michigan and i never changed the cooler just cleaned it out so im thinkin with 180 lbs of pressure she's cleaning it out real good and runnin the crap back thru the pump ... will keep a spare trans & cooler in the truck
Mr Cool @ 866-726-COOL gave me a smokin deal on the coolers and should be here today
Old 06-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No front seals blown ,was kickin fluid out the vent ..... I'm thinkin Eddie is dead ballz on with the cooler idear we torched a trans last year in some 5 footers in lake michigan and i never changed the cooler just cleaned it out so im thinkin with 180 lbs of pressure she's cleaning it out real good and runnin the crap back thru the pump ... will keep a spare trans & cooler in the truck
Mr Cool @ 866-726-COOL gave me a smokin deal on the coolers and should be here today
I have always had the theory that while the coolers and water are warm, chunks get into places and when you let it cool back off they stay in there. When you are trying to clean out the parts, you are cool, so the copper doesn't expand. When you put it back into the boat, it gets warm, and presto, the 1 little chunk you missed ends up getting circulated.

I always thought an interesting experiment would be to clean it normally, and then drop it into a giant pot of boiling water and somehow flush it to see if anything extra comes out.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Banned

Just to Clarify this thread was started as a question as to what fluid everyone is running Valvoline??/ Ford type F ??? and about the foaming oil ??? Was NOT A SLAM AT EARL @ Huber by no means So whoever the Phuch called Earl and told him i"m slammin him on OSO u need to pick up the phone BIG Daddy and fill me in ,or explain it to me at the next boating event over a cocktail what you read that i did'nt ...Earl is doing the cruise to get me back together and i'm confident they will handle some power ...
ring ring im waiting 815-693-3031 Dont make me wait tooo long
Old 06-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
I have always had the theory that while the coolers and water are warm, chunks get into places and when you let it cool back off they stay in there. When you are trying to clean out the parts, you are cool, so the copper doesn't expand. When you put it back into the boat, it gets warm, and presto, the 1 little chunk you missed ends up getting circulated.

I always thought an interesting experiment would be to clean it normally, and then drop it into a giant pot of boiling water and somehow flush it to see if anything extra comes out.
I'm with ya on that Jeff but its cheap insurance to just toss the Cooler and start fresh ,Earl just explained the filter cannot catch everything so a spare cooler in the truck just incase and its a done deal ... Talked to guys on the phone yesterday with BIG power and Hubers and beating the snot out of them and there havin awesome luck .. Looks like i have the same Lucky horseshoe Gino has
Old 06-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to Clarify this thread was started as a question as to what fluid everyone is running Valvoline??/ Ford type F ??? and about the foaming oil ??? Was NOT A SLAM AT EARL @ Huber by no means So whoever the Phuch called Earl and told him i"m slammin him on OSO u need to pick up the phone BIG Daddy and fill me in ,or explain it to me at the next boating event over a cocktail what you read that i did'nt ...Earl is doing the cruise to get me back together and i'm confident they will handle some power ...
ring ring im waiting 815-693-3031 Dont make me wait tooo long
Uh Oh. Don't mess with big daddy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.