Gen VI cam retainer plate

Notices

Gen VI cam retainer plate

Old 08-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen VI cam retainer plate

Okay I got the motor out of the boat,
there are 6 bolts on the timing cover and the timing cover is aluminum and its a 4 bolt main setup
the casting numbers state it is a Gen V or Gen VI motor

Im thinking its a Gen VI because of the timing cover and that it only has 6 bolts on it,

so with that being said, I took the cover off and the timing chain and there was no cam retainer plate on the block,
the holes are there for it but there was no plate being used ?

Is this normal with a flat tappet non roller cam (thats what was in there )

Im hoping this really didnt mess anything else up,

Im going to be using a hyd roller cam setup,
so I should be using that cam retainer plate right ?

any input is appreciated
Old 08-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not used on Hydralic tappets, You will need it on a Hydralic roller cam. You will need beed to get the cam ground for a Gen VI nose. The plate will not work with olders rollers. If you are using an older cam, you will need a cam button and a older style timing cover. You can drill & tap the bolck to fit the old style cover. Easier just to get a Gen VI cam.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Registered

Linster
thanks for the reply
I was worried that the previous owner forgot to install it when he rebuilt the motor
so thats good I dont have to worry about that,

Im going to be using a crane 168731 cam which I believe is for a Gen VI block
so I should be okay to run this cam with a retainer and thats it no cam button, and the stock timing cover right ?
Old 08-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Registered

Yes the Crane 731 Cam is the correct 'step-nose' version for that engine. It does need the retainer plate that is held in place by a pair of T27 torx screws (1 on top, 1 below - not side to side like the Mk IV)

So your motor had a solid lifter, non roller cam? Why? Check the back side of your timing cover for brand name (IMCO etc) and extra bracing around the cam nose, you may have the aftermarket cover designed to accomodate a double row chain and the other style of cam. I still don't get why that style of cam was in there but oh well.

You deffinately need the plate for the roller cam. You also will need the correct roller lifters, I forget the PN and the slotted lifter anti rotation plates (I think they're called 'dog-bones') that sit on the lifter recesses. Also make sure you have the plate hold down / retainer tray which also doubles as a splash shield that goes down the center of the valley, it mounts on the 4 central bolt holes. Be sure to use loctite on the bolts.

Sorry if that's suck eggs mate.
Let me know if you need any more info.

John
Old 08-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like someone replaced the timing chain cover. I think the stock cover for Gen VI was composite. Sounds like they also installed hyd flat tappet cam in a roller block. Can you do this? With that high of a lift cam you will need aftermarket roller lifters with the cross bars.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

c,
You will also need to use the GEN6 style timing chain set. The sprockets are different for the step nose cam. The cam retaining plate and the bolts are available from the Chevy dealer. If you cant find the part numbers shoot me a pm or e-mail ... I have the part numbers at the shop.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf md