Trim Cylinder/Pump Sponginess >

Trim Cylinder/Pump Sponginess

Notices

Trim Cylinder/Pump Sponginess

Old 08-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Trim Cylinder/Pump Sponginess

I don't know how to diagnose this problem... much less spell sponginess LOL. Anyway, my port trim has been acting a bit slow lately. Last week I noticed I could pull up on the drive and get about an 1" of movement in the cylinders. Pushing down the drive it remained firm. I figured the cylinders might need repacking. This weekend it progressed and I could push the drive up 2" and down 1/2" before it got firm. Felt like air to me and I attempted to bleed. The pump resivoir is full but it sounds like it cavitates and sucks air every once in a while. Where do I start? I would think if the cylinders needed repacking that the drives would continue to leak down till bottomed out, but they don't, they hold firm under power but when I place the boat in reverse the port drive will move about an inch or two as if the cylinder has air/etc. in it. Any ideas? Should I be thinking air, pump, or cylinders?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a guess??, I would check the fluid in the resevior it could have water in it?, maybe pull the boat out, put a pan under the outdrive and disconnect the hydraulic lines at the rams and run the trim pump up and down a couple of times to "purge" the oil out, then refill it with fresh oil, make sure all the fittings on the rams and dist. block are tight,

Beyond that you will need someone with more "smarts" than me!, LOL!!

Michael
Old 08-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by n20michael
Just a guess??, I would check the fluid in the resevior it could have water in it?, maybe pull the boat out, put a pan under the outdrive and disconnect the hydraulic lines at the rams and run the trim pump up and down a couple of times to "purge" the oil out, then refill it with fresh oil, make sure all the fittings on the rams and dist. block are tight,

Beyond that you will need someone with more "smarts" than me!, LOL!!

Michael
X2
Old 08-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

What weight hydro fluid do I run in the pump? Anything special?