Notices

JL Audio

Old 08-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JL Audio

Hey Guys!

Any of you "audio guys" have an opinion on the JL Audio W series subwoofers?, I am looking at replacing mine, I currently have bazooka marine ones, 1-10" in the cabin and 2 - 8"s in the floor under the back seat [by where your feet are] I am thinking of changing to JL Audio subs, running the same single 10" one in the cabin, but, running 4 - 8" in the foot area, I have a total of eight 5 1/4 2 way component speakers throughout the boat [2 in the cabin] and the rest in the cockpit.

What are your thoughts?, I have a pile of people tell me to go to 10" subs instead of 8's, but, I dont have room for them to mount [its a tite fit to get the 8's in there] Boat is a 24ft Baja Outlaw

Thanks!
Michael
Old 08-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

J.L audio subs are very nice. The problem with them is price. Bang for buck I would say they are probably not the best choice for the open area of a cockpit. Without a top to allow sound pressure to build (like in a car) you can get the same sound level with a much cheeper sub. I like the Kenwood p3s (or something like that). they are much cheeper and sound great. And the best part is they need a very small mounting depth. Also if you want to get better all around better sound, get rid of one set of 5.25"s adn get a set of clarion 7" coax. They have a ton of midbase which is the hardest to get in a boat.
Remember that when dealing with a sub, you should have it crossed over at a point where you wont hear any distortion. Unlike a car, dont really need to go big dollar. Spend the money on a set of 7's and you will be real happy.
Dan
boat-tronics
Old 08-06-2009, 02:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the Input Dan!, its appreciated!

Especially since it will save me some cash, any idea where I can find some more info on the Kenwood P3's?, I couldn't find much on the Kenwood website, or on Ebay,

Thanks Again!
Michael
Old 08-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Are you going to run them free air or in sealed boxes???????
Old 08-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 outlaw and i just put 4 10s in a sealed box under the back seat. trust me it was tight, and alot of measuring was in order to make it work, but if u can put the 10s, do yourself a favor and do it. With the JLs, a good friend has all JL in his 36ft baja, and they are very nice, but very expensive. They sound very good, but its hard to determine if they are really worth the extra money you pay for them. I went all sony marine (8 6.5s and 4 10s) and I am very happy with the sound quality and paid much less for my entire set up. Just my 2 cents...

What year Baja?