Notices

Stumped

Old 08-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped

My friend has a 1968 boat, It has a 283 chevy engine with a Quadrajet carb on it. The problem is we brought a rebuilt carb put it on and the engine will idle for a minute then die. and if you try to give it any gas it just dies. The points,timing,wires, plugs, and fuel pump are all new and set to specs. so thought it was the new carb was bad, so I then put the old one on to try it and it did the same thing. ANY thoughts would be great I'm stumped. there is also no egr, or any vaccum to the carb. Real basic system points,mechanical timing advance, remote choke, etc.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2009, 09:08 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hook up a remote fuel sys. with a primer bulb and see if it is a fuel starvation problem, by-pass the fuel pump and go straight to the carb, you will have to keep pumping the bulb, but it will tell you if there is a problem down stream.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the input, will give it a shot.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Registered

make sure you installed the correct gasket under the carb
Old 08-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Registered

How soon can you re-start?

Spray carb cleaner or starter fluid as you open throttle might be a little more controllable...but it's a good idea for some type of fuel blockage.

Sounds like fuel problem. Some causes are float level too low/stuck or float valve stuck.

Before you go inside, pull the flame arrestor and look at the carb as the throttle is given. Too much gas is a possibility(watch choke plate)...or maybe somehow secondaries opening too soon. I know it don't sound right. Especially with two different carbs.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's getting fuel for sure., but when you spray carb cleaner in, it kinda wants to run alittle bit better, for a very short time. it's the right gasket. not new at mechanics just this one has me quessing hard.