Speed Pro Piston Installation >

Speed Pro Piston Installation

Notices

Speed Pro Piston Installation

Old 01-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Pro Piston Installation

I am installing Speed Pro 2399 pistons in my 454, but the machinist did not return my install instructions. Should the lettering and number be right side up? The piston does not have a conventional arrow or notch in piston.

The reason I am queston it is that he installed the rods the other way around, so the stamped numbers are on the inside.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the intake valve releifs go on the top right when installed in the block.this is for both banks.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a big block Chevy, it's easy to see which way they go. Just match the valve reliefs to the heads.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That is the concern

The 2399 speed pros that I am running would have the labeling on the piston upside down, does that soun
d correct?

Last edited by OhioRiverCigarett; 01-31-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

What everybody else said! also look ar the rod journal where cyl 1 & 2 mate on the crankshaft. the rod;s are offset a bit the slim side of the rod journals mate each other on the crank.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Let's just hope your engine builder installed your pistons the right way. Thats happened more than once. I finally built my own press a couple of years ago and do it myself now. I know this is not your question and I'm sure you know but make sure your pins are oiled good. Really work the oil in good by working the rod back and forth, side to side while appying oil. If I am in a rush I will place the pistons/rods in the oven after assm. and heat them up with the door cracked at 200 deg. This will allow the oil to get in much quicker and easier. If I have time and not in a rush I use a cake tin or something similar with enough oil in it to go past the pins and let soak over night with the top of the piston facing downward. If doing it the first way mentioned I like to use the red cam lube. Just a preference. Also good if the engine is going to sit for a period of time before running.