Notices

454 vs 489

Old 02-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tx911
I dont know what year they made the mk 4, 502 blocks. There was a set of motors built with them on sale here not that long ago. I think they are very few and far between, because they went to the 1 piece rear main seal very soon into producing the 502. I am sure they would cost you more then a set of dart or merlin blocks anyway. Using the adapters to put a two piece rear main crank in a one piece rear main block is a good alternative. The oiling setup on the gen6 blocks is improved over the mk4 blocks from what I understand. The aftermarket blocks also take advantage or the oiling upgrades too.
You pretty much nailed it. The seal adapters to put a Mk IV crank in a Gen V/VI block is only about $80. They work well.
You are correct that the newer blocks have better oiling.
Eddie
Old 02-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
You pretty much nailed it. The seal adapters to put a Mk IV crank in a Gen V/VI block is only about $80. They work well.
You are correct that the newer blocks have better oiling.
Eddie
So if I find a couple of Gen V/VI's go a head and get them???
What's the going rate for 502 blk needing to be machined, etc.?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes. Get em. They aren't that easy to find used. They are available new for somewhere around $1500. I may be able to find a few a little cheaper. Had a line on a few a while back, but I really didn't need them. Let me see what I can come up with. I'll let you know.
Eddie
Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

The biggest issue with the mark 502 was cooling issues.the newer gen v was revised for better cooling then they did another revision on the gen6 to make it better and also decided to add the roller cam set up..
Old 03-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
So if I find a couple of Gen V/VI's go a head and get them???
What's the going rate for 502 blk needing to be machined, etc.?
Hey Guy's, fwiw, it took me two years to find a genV 502 block. Few and far between. The good news, I got it for $750.00. On my way to a blown 540ci, chiller on the way. The rear seal adapter worked fine for me also.
And for its worth again, my last build was 454 to 489 and picked up 6-7 mph in my 23.5 Arriva