Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Water Pressure Gauge Hose, what to use? >

Water Pressure Gauge Hose, what to use?

Notices

Water Pressure Gauge Hose, what to use?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of installing new engines and was told to put the hose up higher instead of the block as well. I am going to drill and tap the end cap of my oil cooler on the back of my 500efis , Should this be a problem?
Old 05-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Registered

I have used the 1/8 inch tube for 5 years with no problems. Mounted it in the top of the manifold where the plug is next to the thermostat housing. No problems with plugging. Drains in block are pluged every fall when I winterize though.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
Thanks guys. Yes I planned on running out top of the intake manifold. Griff, if I can't find any close to home I might be sending you a PM
I got it at some pressure washer company in the 96th and L St area several years ago. I have plenty if you need some. I'm close to 48th and Hwy 370.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Originally Posted by dookie
I am in the process of installing new engines and was told to put the hose up higher instead of the block as well. I am going to drill and tap the end cap of my oil cooler on the back of my 500efis , Should this be a problem?
That won't give you accurate pressure readings for the engine though and the engine is where you need to know the water pressure.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its easy to drill and tap a hole in the rear of the intake manifold where the manifold seals off the cooling passages in the heads.

Lots of room for the fitting and never a clogging issue.

Also, being there its a pretty good indicater of any steam pocket issues as steam and air are compressable and the pressure will generally show as erratic when cruising along if there is an issue.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
That won't give you accurate pressure readings for the engine though and the engine is where you need to know the water pressure.
Griff, why wont it get an accurate reading?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

The water goes to the oil cooler before it gets to the engine. Some of the water going in will get bled off into the exhaust via the Tstat housing before ever entering the actual engine. It also won't tell you if the engine is building water pressure and letting water out fast enough.

Putting in the cooler is better than nothing, but putting it in the intake manifold is better. The engine is what you are trying to protect. If you are installing it so you know there is water flowing, then it work fine.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The water goes to the oil cooler before it gets to the engine. Some of the water going in will get bled off into the exhaust via the Tstat housing before ever entering the actual engine. It also won't tell you if the engine is building water pressure and letting water out fast enough.

Putting in the cooler is better than nothing, but putting it in the intake manifold is better. The engine is what you are trying to protect. If you are installing it so you know there is water flowing, then it work fine.
ie.... a blockage between the cooler and motor ....you would see pressure but the motor could be have a loss of flow .......
Old 05-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Registered

Griff , you are always a standup guy ,and take the time to give iformative posts, and answers . . . Thanks!!!