Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Can you guys use ZZ502's? >

Can you guys use ZZ502's?

Notices

Can you guys use ZZ502's?

Old 05-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace the oil pressure relief valve as noted in post #2. Get a bigger oil pan (8-10 qts suggested), and bigger oil cooler. Use a complete marine approved ignition including alternator, marine starter (I used all the parts from my 7.4/330), and a 4150/850 marine carb, drop in boat, and haul azz.

Note ... The ZZ cam is similar to the old HP500 cam and I was told it can cause some reversion during long idle times. I used to "crack the throttle" a couple of times to clear it out before turning off the engine. The ZZ502/502 ran fine for me for 4 seasons without so much as a hick-up. Reasonable $$ for reliable 500 hp.

I ran the stock ZZ carb for the 1st season and the engine performed flawlessly. Season 2 I had it marinized by Nickerson ($$$) to be CG compliant.

Last edited by Kidnova; 05-27-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the reason they say no marine apps is their warranty, they offer a warranty for most crate engines, the marine engines sold to marineizers are sold with NO warranty at all...Rob
Old 06-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
Eliminator build a project boat for a customer using a pair of GMPP ZZ572 (92 octane version) with sucess. I will put together a list of items w/part numbers on the changes those who have used in the ZZ502 for a marine application. Call it a checklist of things to do----in the order of importance. Besides the oil bypass valve, I feel the oil pan is the second most important item.
A great powerplant I had a new in box GM ZZ572/620hp -06. We made some head job with inconell valves, new springs etc. made some modification to the oilsystem, new 14q pan + oilpump from Hardin Marine, change the 850cfm Demon to a Holley 1000cfm, 94Ah alernator, marin starter, CMI Sport tubes etc. Dynod to 631.4hp. I Use the 28" thermostat oilcooler from Hardin Marine
Had this engine in my 28 Pantera (80MPH) one season then pulled the engine and sold the boat.

Mange
Attached Thumbnails Can you guys use ZZ502's?-dekor4.jpg