Engines cross cranking >

Engines cross cranking

Notices

Engines cross cranking

Old 06-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engines cross cranking

88 Fountain, stock 330's and bravos. Two winters ago I rewired, actually just cleaned up the wiring on my boat. Used it a few times and all was well. First trip out this year, on the hose the motors started and ran fine. Got it to the lake and it seemed my that I was losing a starter on the right side (thought the bolts works out due to grinding). What happens is the motor would grind after the left side was started, it wasn't until a few tries I figured out that either key would try and start both motors. To prevent this and to be able to use the boat I would just push the gear selector just enough to trip the neutral safety switch which would stop them from cross cranking. Any ideas?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oopsie, I'm guessing your yellow/red strip wires are tied together. Probably near the keys.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Registered

That's the odd part, they aren't. And it's intermittant, happens maybe 2 of 5 times. I even checked as far as looking for chaffed or bare wire cross connecting. Nothing... Just started this year after a full year after the rewire. Guess I'll keep looking.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hook an ohm meter between the crank wires at the ign switches and check for continuity. Start doing the wiggle and shake and push and pull tests while monitoring the meter.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

possesed....how did you rewire ? replace harnesses ? or makeup circut by circut ?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Registered

So far showing a dead short across them with or without movement of cables/wires. Guess its time to unzip tie everything and head towards the back.

As for rewiring, it wasn't really a rewire, just a cleaning up. I removed most of the garbage crimps and either soldered and shrink wrapped or used shrink wrap connectors. Basically cleaned it up a bit under the dash since it looked like crap. Everything has worked great since until this problem.
Attached Thumbnails Engines cross cranking-photo-4-.jpg