Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
ok I want to build a gm big block >

ok I want to build a gm big block

Notices

ok I want to build a gm big block

Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the honest leg work with getting a shortblock to me and the shipping, duty, taxes, to my door or a reasonable pick up place, is huge, so starting from scratch is the way to go for me. If someone sells me a short or long B for say 3 k its goes up to at least 5 k by the time its to my door.
I understand the advice about the cost but its gunna be 5 to 7 grand no matter which way I go so I may as well start from scratch. The only thing that is frustrating the hell out of me is I can't find a 502 block anywhere. I would so much rather start with that platform.
The engine I currently have I will use while I get the other ready. I think I will keep it as a spare or stick it in a truck to sell.
If I can get an engine to my door for 3k I would consider what the goods are but thats not gunna happen. Block, machining, forged internals, takes me to 3k here so thats the math. Don't get me wrong I am thankfull for all trying to save me money and problems, but getting an engine into Canada is expensive.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your lucky to have 2 sons to enjoy an engine building project with. When I was growing up I was always working on something. Lawn mowers, go carts, mini bikes, motorcycles, cars, trucks and finally boats. My son never did show any interest in this and would rather sit in the house and play video games. You can't make them do something they just don't care about doing. My 16 year old daughter comes out and works with me wanting to learn more than my son ever did. Enjoy it while you can.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

All 502 blocks are siamese bore 4 bolt mains. All "factory assembled" 502's are forged crank, good rods, forged pistons, GM rect port heads.

I agree that you would be better off to start with a 502 block, but if you can't find one, you can't find one.

Mk IV motors will require tie-bar roller lifters if you run a roller cam (hyd or solid). Tie-bars are good lifters, but they add mass, and are expensive. Most Gen5 and all Gen6 motors will have factory dogbone roller lifters which are fine up to .550 lift.

Valvetrain is stable when lift is kept moderate and rpm is kept below 5500. Factory valvesprings are a weak link on BBC's. Stay below .550 lift and run good springs for "hands off longevity".

Good luck.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Registered

Ya pickle its always a struggle at our home with the kids screen time. I am of the belief that we as parents have to offer an alternative for them and at our home if they don't like my activity then there is always chores to do.

Mcollinstn

That is some great information you laid out for me. Thats the kind of stuff I need the heads up on. I don't fully understand all of it but do get the point that the gen 5 and 6 are set up for a roller application where the gen 4 require aftermarket stuff to make full roller. I hope I understand that correctly. As far as the other info I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Any idea what generation this last suberban engine I have a chance at is ?

What is a "siamese bore"

Last edited by toolsinbox; 02-08-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: What is
Old 02-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by toolsinbox
I did the honest leg work with getting a shortblock to me and the shipping, duty, taxes, to my door or a reasonable pick up place, is huge, so starting from scratch is the way to go for me. If someone sells me a short or long B for say 3 k its goes up to at least 5 k by the time its to my door.
Where the heck do you live? It costs $450 all in to ship a 502 long block from Massachusetts to my door in Vancouver BC..
Old 02-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Where the heck do you live? It costs $450 all in to ship a 502 long block from Massachusetts to my door in Vancouver BC..
I live in Winnipeg.

I would like to here how you did that because I was quoted 2 k to get it done. I called Canada customs and I would pay taxes on a short block or long as if it were being bought new from gm so the tax alone was over 400 bucks.

Who was the shipping company?
what was the tax and duty amount?
where did they deliver it to your home or buisness?
did you have a loading dock? or was it to your home?
I want to here all about how you did this please.

I dont care how I get this block! the cheaper the better and if I can get a 502 that would be sweet. I can always take it apart with kids and click everything back together.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Registered

Your right no blowers. call CSU get a carb, call me get turbos, convert your manifolds to accept turbos, make 700 HP, go fast.

Done.LOL
Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Registered

My buddy has a 502 long block for sale right now speak of the devil. Located here in CT Probably needs a re ring and bearing been sitting in storage for a while but was a low low hr engine PM me if interested and I will get you in touch with him.

Id still go turbos if it were me but I am a turbo Junkie
Old 02-09-2011, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff,
I haven't looked into this at all, but are there any cheap and easy yet completely functional solutions to the issues with turbo temps for marine applications?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Registered

I have to pay the taxes and the duty. The best rate I can get with fuel charge included from NY where another member has a 502 short B is just under 700 beans. Add the taxes and duty and you are at the 2 k mark. I got shipping prices from 700 right up to 1500. The only way I think I could get it cheaper is if the block was bare and shipping was marked as a used scrap or somthing. If the block was in need of rework that could fly. I would never participate in anything that was not above board because its just not worth it.
On another note I called today a local auto recycler that deals in newer type parts for body shops and repair shops etc. they are checking the data base here in Canada. He was supposed to call me today but never did. I spoke to them at 9 am and heard nothing. I plan on calling them back tomorow and find out what the scoop is. I really want a 502 to start with. I feel like I am shooting myself in the foot if I settle for a 454. I have one of those and I want more. I hate the thought of sinking lotsa cash into 454 when it could be a 502. Just hard to wrap my head around. anyhow thats the latest.

quick question. The guy at the recycler asked me what a 502 came in? I told him that I was sure they were in gm 3500 around yr 2002. He said that was the only way he could search if he had what 502s came in. I did a search and cant find what trucks came stock with a 502 can anyone help with that so when I call him back I can give him more ammo. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by toolsinbox; 02-09-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.