Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Disconnect Oil Cooler??? >

Disconnect Oil Cooler???

Notices

Disconnect Oil Cooler???

Old 06-13-2002, 08:39 AM
Scott72

Jayl13,
I read in one of your posts that your 330's are going to be built into 500 horse motors. Just remember that the original 330 oil cooler is pretty small compared to even the oil cooler on the Mag motors. I have both a Mag motor and a 330 sitting side by side at home and the mag oil cooler is about 5 inches longer. Just something to keep in mind when you pump up compression, RPM's etc.....

Scott

Old 06-13-2002, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should not be too bad to change to larger one is it?
Mine is pretty big though
about 14 inches or so long
I think it is a 1 or 1 1/4 hose that is on it as well and then the oil lines and the PS lines as well

Not sure how much of it is the OIL cooler itself and not the PS cooler

Just a thought but I wonder how much it would cost buying piece by piece to put a mercruiser 330 HP engine together
Probably about 45 thousand bucks?
Okay ill quit my *****in
Thanks scott for the advice
I think ill take you up on it
Jason
Old 06-13-2002, 08:56 AM
Scott72

Jayl13,
Maybe you do have the larger ones. I'd have to measure them when I get home. I have an extra one off my 330 if you need it. Like I said, it's pretty wimpy looking and came of a 1989 330, but is in good shape. Your welcome to have it. I have a whole 330 parts motor that is going in a dumpster in a couple of weeks (took water, internals gone).

Scott

Old 06-13-2002, 11:51 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jay: Man you crack me up big time. I just love reading your descriptions on the parts

There are a couple other companies that you can check out. keith Eikhart, Stainless Marine, and Teague marine all have these things. You can also preasure test the ones you have. any radiator shop can do this. If you are concerned then give them a little more then the rated preasure for peice of mind. Then you can save yourself some money that way. They do not fail often from what I understand, but you are correct in wanting to look them over as they do fail.

Jon
Old 06-13-2002, 11:56 AM
Registered

Hey Jon, I am NOT going through another engine rebuild for a stupid freakin part again!
Wife is ready to chop my nutz off and hang them from her rear view mirror as it is
She calculated how much I have spend on this boat in the past 5 months and im just at 10 grand now with the engines.
So for 185 each I think ill just get anal slammed and take the new parts and have peace of mind that Im going to be able to run with no problems of water getting in the engines from the coolers, head gaskets are different story
Jason
Old 06-13-2002, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it hurts now but $185 is cheap for a boat part. Get used to it. Your toy will always cost more money to maintain and run than you want to spend. With this hobby, or sickness, you either love it and dont mind spending the money or you quit.

Ron
Old 06-13-2002, 03:54 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jay I just Emailed you. make sure you have the part # when you call them up.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Registered

Default Re: Disconnect Oil Cooler???

I'd be interested in that cooler if Jay isn't.
Thank,s Dan
Old 05-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tc88fatboy
I'd be interested in that cooler if Jay isn't.
Thank,s Dan
Damn, this thread is four years old.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason -

I would not disconnect it unless you have an oil temp gauge. If you do have a gauge, bypass the cooler and keep an eye on the temps. Maybe you can eliminate the cooler as a source of your water/oil problem. Or, like Audiofin suggested, a radiator shop would probably test it for much cheaper than the gas would cost to go on a test run. Maybe you don't need a new cooler afterall. Save the $$$$.

I run a Whipple setup (crossover and no t-stat) and was having a problem getting oil temps up to 200+ degrees. I was also getting water into my oil so I disconnected the cooler to eliminate it as a potential source of the leak. I notice that even just cruising at 4200 rpm for 10 minutes or so will heat the oil to 250 degrees which is a bit warmer than I like. My leak was not the cooler. I am going to plumb it back in ASAP.

In any case, I understand your frustration. I only have a single drive. I can't imagine two of these things!!

Good luck.

Greg

Quick Reply: Disconnect Oil Cooler???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.