Disconnect Oil Cooler??? >

Disconnect Oil Cooler???

Notices

Disconnect Oil Cooler???

Old 06-10-2002, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disconnect Oil Cooler???

Okay we all know that a wonderful way to injest water into your loving crank case is through this pathetic oil cooler made out of recycled dog **** that is in the toughest spot to ever get to on an engine (yeah wonderful design there Mr Mercruiser)
Anyway
WTF
I have twins, one power steering pump is just hooked through this toilet and cycles oil back into itself
Went to Mercruiser parts.com and 185 each I dont think so !
Not for this little piece of garbage

My questions are simple
Is it really necessary to cool the engine oil when the motor only runs about 140 to 160 degrees all the time?
Is it necessary to cool off the power steering fluid, I rarely ever see cars with Power steering coolers and cars run way hotter than these boat engines and accessories do
So what is the dilly Yo?

This boat is just about putting me in the poor house and I want to replace as much of this origional junk as I can (especially stuff mercruiser wants you to be tom thumb or snap your forearm in 4 places to reach)

Is this thing 100 percent necessary or is this a way of getting more motors sold over the course of each 5-7-10 years?

Talk to me guys!
Thanks
Jason
Old 06-10-2002, 09:50 AM
Brad Perry

Default If it will help,

I've got a steering cooler and oil cooler off a '97 carb you can have if it will fit. Do some more searching on parts. I found some place on the east coat that was selling combo coolers for $100.

Old 06-10-2002, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel the oil cooler is absolutly neccessary. If you have an oil temp gauge in the boat you will see what I mean. Marine engines are under a constant load unlike a car. This builds high oil temps. Even with a cooler the oil temp will get over 210 running at around 4000 rpm. Without a cooler at WOT for even short burst you will smoke the oil. When the oil heats up past a certain point it looses its lubrication properties (thermal breakdown). Then you will need to by a new engine.

Yes the heat exchangers are expensive. Look around to see if you can find some used ones. Many people upgrade their coolers when upgrading their engines and will have the old ones laying around. Brads post says just that.

Good luck,

Ron
Old 06-11-2002, 06:16 AM
Registered

Jason,

RJ is correct about the need for an oil cooler.

Your oil temp should be 212 min, 220 is perfect, 270 is too hot.
Oil temp and pressure are the most critcle readings on your engine.

Oil will start to turn into a solid called "coke" around 290-300*
Also when the oil gets too hot it wont carry the heat away, if it's too cold, it wont flow through the small clearances it needs to.

I've been reading your posts. I wish you continued success in your quest for more power.
Even though you're having a tough time, it'll feel good when you're done.

Hey, what cam did you decide on?

DAVE
Old 06-11-2002, 07:52 AM
Registered

Brad, yeah im in despirate need, if you could let me know who sold them for 100 bucks that would be the best for my situation keeps getting worse and worse
Now my engines are on hold due to lack of funds so im scrounging for things to sell and raise money to get these things back already.
I dont want to install 2 brand new engines and put on my crappy old coolers and take a chance
Hell that could have been what lunched them to begin with for all I know
So yeah im going to need 2 of them and ill figure out where to get the mony from at some point.
Thanks for the info and Brad, Ill email you about yours.
Thanks bro
Jason
Old 06-11-2002, 08:32 AM
Brad Perry

Default I can't find the link,

so try this first as well as cp performance. I will get the catalog of the company I am thinking of and post the name.

http://www.marinesupermart.com/

Old 06-11-2002, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to run oil coolers. The marine engine doesn't have air blowing by the oil pan like a car/tk. So the oil is VERY hot and the water is very cold. Not good.

Many cars/tk have power steering coolers. You just don't see them. I just replaced one on a 2000 Chevy 2500 4x4 at my shop. It was up in the left front frame rail???? Full of mud and tree parts.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jason,

Everyone is correct... I puked the oil cooler in the Bahamas and as usual no parts nor here in the states unless it came direct from Mercruiser... Thank God it was pumping the oil into the exhausted water and I saw the oil pressure dip... At any rate
the oil temprature jumped some 80-100 degrees under load and
I did not dare push that one beyond 3K rpm... They are a necessary evil... The classifieds are a really good way to find one unless it is an odd ball like my 525SC motors... A quick pressure check and cleaning will usually do the job...

Tnx, Karl

PS... The one from BAM had a cost of over $400
Old 06-12-2002, 05:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what about a ProCharged or WhippleCharged running no thermostat? Oil temps 140 to 180.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

IND27,

That would imply that the H2O temp is below that number... Shouldn't hurt anything but if you brought the engine H2O temp up to the normal of 140-160 I would imagine that the oil temp would be higher than I like to keep it... I normally just try and follow manufacturer guide lines...

Tnx, Karl

Quick Reply: Disconnect Oil Cooler???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.