Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
454 Magnum bolt on hp upgrades...which ones? >

454 Magnum bolt on hp upgrades...which ones?

Notices

454 Magnum bolt on hp upgrades...which ones?

Old 11-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baja226sport
Well.......you guys are right. they have to come out!

I actually have room and can get a 1/2" drive ratchet and socket in there......the problem is that there are just about no heads left on the damn bolts!!!

These things are so freaking rusted I don't know what I am gonna do to get them off wven with the motors out!!!

I got the risers off, one had a hole rusted straight through, one was gone...I don't know how the exhaust hose stayed connected as there was no metal left. The other two were about the same.

These motors were installed in 1999 and have about 250 hours on them. I am assuming the original exhaust was used. I have never seen rust like this!!!
I'd take them to a shop when they are out. Let them deal with it if you can't. If you end up breaking the bolt heads off and need to have the bolts drilled out of the heads, it's getting expensive. You will no matter what, need to change that exhaust. Eddie, maybe you've got an idea how the get those bolts out?
Old 11-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a compression check on the motors before you take them out. I bet your going to find at least one cylinder on each needs work. The heads on the old Gen V motors is notorious for eating valve seats on # 5, 6 cylinders. You should have new seats put in at the least. If changing cams then new springs and pushrods too.

Wannabe
Old 11-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, has spent it's entire life on the upper chesapeake. It is crazy to me though, maybe this is just why everyone gets rid of the factory exhaust. I started feeling around on the bottoms of the manifolds and I can literally pull chunks of rust off.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

About the only thing to do with the bolts is to wipe off the head and pull the exhaust them. You can either grind off the head, burn it off with a cutting torch or plasma cutter, or knock it off with an air chisel. Once the heads are all gone, you should be able to slide the exhaust off of the bolts. It's gonna fight you, but it should come off. Obviously, the engines will have to be out to do this.
I would not be surprised if some of the head bolts are the same way. I just had a few in that we had to burn off half of the head bolts because there was nothing left. We just wiped the heads of the bolts off with a torch and then lifted the head off. After the head was off we could just unscrew what was left. Good luck. Give me a shout if I can help.
Eddie
Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

i use thease on rusted or rounded off bolts heads..work like a champ!

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old 11-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja226sport
No, has spent it's entire life on the upper chesapeake. It is crazy to me though, maybe this is just why everyone gets rid of the factory exhaust. I started feeling around on the bottoms of the manifolds and I can literally pull chunks of rust off.
thats at least brackish isn't it
Old 11-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A magnum 454 already has a descent cam, before you change the cam keep in mind you may need stiffer valve springs etc, and new lifters, pushrods etc
Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88242LS
thats at least brackish isn't it
Really really low salt content. This year was pretty much zero. I run where the susquehanna river comes feeding all fresh water from PA.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pantera232
A magnum 454 already has a descent cam, before you change the cam keep in mind you may need stiffer valve springs etc, and new lifters, pushrods etc
Yeah, I have put motors together before. I do know what is involved. I would have the heads done. If they are still worth using. I guess I will find out soon enough!!!

So, anyone have a proven power combination to make 450-500 with a 454 mag bottom end, rectangular port heads, and exhaust like EMI?

Particular cam, intake, carb, ignition?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

What year is your 272? The reason why I ask is if they have the old short style lowers your going to hit a wall around 75 MPH. If you have the newer style lowers you'll be able to go faster. I'm in the process of doing the same as you right now and I really don't feel like adding external steering, new lowers ECT to take advantage of 500 hp engines. A nice set of 420 clones would get you into the low to mid 70's. All you would really need is a 420 cam, springs, holley 800 and aftermarket exhaust. I don't think your going to gain much or anything by dumping the factory intake. It's actually a pretty good intake. If your going to spin the engine over 5500 RPMs have the divider cut out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.