Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Anyone ever use kirker black diamond paint? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/270290-anyone-ever-use-kirker-black-diamond-paint.html)

rchevelle71 02-08-2012 08:24 AM

Anyone ever use kirker black diamond paint?

Not tryin' to be cheap, just thinking of trying something different, maybe a less expensive alternative, kinda an experiment. I wouldnt be painting the whole boat, just redoing the purple on mine in silver.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/blac...ms-c-1254.aspx

f_inscreenname 02-08-2012 11:21 AM

I used it on a couple boats and works well.

rchevelle71 02-08-2012 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname (Post 3612569)
I used it on a couple boats and works well.

Cool,

I may give it a try, just debating when to dig into sanding the purple, dont wanna get sidetracked, and lay the boat up for too long. Probably gonna wait a few weeks, and see if the new job comes thru, if it does I will be too busy to take on the project, and leave it purple for the summer.

dereknkathy 02-08-2012 05:27 PM

auto paint stores. i assume you have a gun and compressor. you can still get one part acrylic enamel for around 30 bucks a quart. put hardener in it for 15 more and it is pretty much the same compound as imron. you don't need a gallon. plus you can get the exact color you want. and it flows out to an automotive finish gloss. i bought an acrylic enamel "industrial" paint for my hatteras. tough paint. dried too slow. no gloss to speak of. it is amazing how much beer it takes to paint a 34 sportfish...

gmhdfan 02-08-2012 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by dereknkathy (Post 3612867)
auto paint stores. i assume you have a gun and compressor. you can still get one part acrylic enamel for around 30 bucks a quart. put hardener in it for 15 more and it is pretty much the same compound as imron. you don't need a gallon. plus you can get the exact color you want. and it flows out to an automotive finish gloss. i bought an acrylic enamel "industrial" paint for my hatteras. tough paint. dried too slow. no gloss to speak of. it is amazing how much beer it takes to paint a 34 sportfish...

Bingo!! I use to use Centari Acrylic Enamel with Performance pack additive (hardner) when I painted black cars and I thought it looked better than basecoat/clear coat....it didn't look so milkey when you scuffed & buffed it. Kirker & BC (we used to call "Before Chemicals") was what Earl Scheib would use for thier $99 specials. If you don't use hardner you will have a hard time repainting anything. But i don't know why you would want to skimp on a small amount for YOUR boat....

gmhdfan 02-08-2012 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by rchevelle71 (Post 3612439)
Not tryin' to be cheap, just thinking of trying something different, maybe a less expensive alternative, kinda an experiment. I wouldnt be painting the whole boat, just redoing the purple on mine in silver.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/blac...ms-c-1254.aspx

And Silver in Fla. Imron seemed to hold its color (if you call silver a color) the best....silver is mostly silver metalic and clear....

northernoffshore 02-08-2012 06:49 PM

I order it from PIVCO. for inexpensive stuff . I painted trs drives with it and it held up well.

rchevelle71 02-09-2012 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by gmhdfan (Post 3612925)
Bingo!! I use to use Centari Acrylic Enamel with Performance pack additive (hardner) when I painted black cars and I thought it looked better than basecoat/clear coat....it didn't look so milkey when you scuffed & buffed it. Kirker & BC (we used to call "Before Chemicals") was what Earl Scheib would use for thier $99 specials. If you don't use hardner you will have a hard time repainting anything. But i don't know why you would want to skimp on a small amount for YOUR boat....

I hear ya, but I am a BC/CC guy, some of those oldshool rubbed out paintjobs look great, but I am lazy, clear it and go:evilb:

I usually use matrix systems(PPG knockoff), but may try something different just for kicks.

rchevelle71 02-09-2012 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by northernoffshore (Post 3612950)
I order it from PIVCO. for inexpensive stuff . I painted trs drives with it and it held up well.

I'll look into Pivco.

gmhdfan 02-09-2012 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by rchevelle71 (Post 3613223)
I hear ya, but I am a BC/CC guy, some of those oldshool rubbed out paintjobs look great, but I am lazy, clear it and go:evilb:

I usually use matrix systems(PPG knockoff), but may try something different just for kicks.

Single stage is easier than bc/cc.....You only have to clean one gun....I buff & scuff everything just to make it look like glass......but a boat is wavey already so I wouldn't worry about if you can put it on wet enough to flow out without too much orange peel.