496 mag running issues >

496 mag running issues

Notices

496 mag running issues

Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree with thirdchildhood, had the same issue with my port engine a year ago or so. Scans showed no codes but the temp was about 10 deg higher on the guage, I back flushed the raw water side from the heat exchanger inlet & the problem went away. The p/s & oil coolers can get partially plugged you wont notice at idle on muffs but under load it would show up immediately. I run on the missouri river so i can pick up junk all the time. Hope that helps, Randy
Old 02-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I don't think it's the IAC. As mentioned I think that affects idle. Do the other stuff. A steady alarm is supposed to be over revving (not your problem), low oil pressure or high engine temperature. The knock sensor wire thing is interesting too. I'd back flush the heat exchanger when you do the raw water pump. You will like the Hardin SS pump.
Ok thanks. Ya I was planning on ordering the Hardin pump. Is the only place to get it is from Hardin or cp?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
I would agree with thirdchildhood, had the same issue with my port engine a year ago or so. Scans showed no codes but the temp was about 10 deg higher on the guage, I back flushed the raw water side from the heat exchanger inlet & the problem went away. The p/s & oil coolers can get partially plugged you wont notice at idle on muffs but under load it would show up immediately. I run on the missouri river so i can pick up junk all the time. Hope that helps, Randy
Thanks randy I appreciate the input. I'm gonna order the pump today and go from their prob get it in the water next weekend. I couldn't find any shops around me that carried that pump.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by 06laser
Ok thanks. Ya I was planning on ordering the Hardin pump. Is the only place to get it is from Hardin or cp?
I got mine from CP.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I got mine from CP.
Ok cool I'll prob get mine from their since their located in ca hopefully get it in a few days. Thanks
Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Registered

I got my Hardin pump in last night it def sucks more water than my old pump. I'm taking it out tomorrow for a test run hopefully I won't hear the alarm. I just wanna thank everyone one here that posted all the good advice.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Registered

Well I went testing today alarm was still their. Took it an got it scanned and was the water pump psi sensor. Replaced the sensor and now it's back firing really bad at 3k and above. Should I start with the spark plugs and do a compression check while they are out? What is the correct compression psi these motors should be at? Thanks
Old 03-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Spark plugs is a good idea. Bad plug or two will do this and not show up on scanner. Also make sure plug wires from coils are on correct plugs especially if they have been unplugged or removed for any reason. Compression test is good idea also. Should be about 155-160 psi all cylinders with throttle open. Disconnect main injector plug near ecm to do test as you do not want all that fuel pumping into cylinders when cranking. Open throttle wide open also.
You might also have some bad plug wires. You can check that with engine running , hatch open in the dark at night no lights on or to much background light and look for arcing around the plug wires where they run by manifolds,etc.

Hope you find your gremlin easily.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
Spark plugs is a good idea. Bad plug or two will do this and not show up on scanner. Also make sure plug wires from coils are on correct plugs especially if they have been unplugged or removed for any reason. Compression test is good idea also. Should be about 155-160 psi all cylinders with throttle open. Disconnect main injector plug near ecm to do test as you do not want all that fuel pumping into cylinders when cranking. Open throttle wide open also.
You might also have some bad plug wires. You can check that with engine running , hatch open in the dark at night no lights on or to much background light and look for arcing around the plug wires where they run by manifolds,etc.

Hope you find your gremlin easily.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Thanks for the info ray. I hope I can figure this out before the season starts.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Registered

I just pulled the plugs and found one plug cracked. Gonna throw some news ones in and go test it again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.