Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
454 330hp version and alpha 1 drive? >

454 330hp version and alpha 1 drive?

Notices

454 330hp version and alpha 1 drive?

Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool thanks for all your feed back thats what i was looking for the 454 isnt tired the guy upgraded to a 496 and the package deal was to hard to not pass up from what i have now. so ill see how the motor does and start accumulating parts for the swap.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Bottom line is that if you do not have all the parts to do the bravo conversion now, put the big block in, don't be pulling hole shots, the alpha will last you through the summer, with out a problem. I have ran a alpha for years behind a 400 hp sbc. It failed do to something other then a down shaft breakage or gear issue. Yes the bravo would be optimal, but guys act like its going to break as soon as you put it in gear, thats BS. I have seen boats much heavier then yours live for YEARS with a BB and alpha set up. People tend to hype things up more then they need to. Same as some say you will spit Bravos with anything over 550 hp, again I have seen first hand, they can take it.. But good luck what ever you decide to do..

John jr
Old 04-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

just be easy on the throttle. remembering the drive may be as tired as the mouse that used to push it. keep an eye out for craigslist 200 buck alpha lowers. you don't hafta buy one, but you need to know where they are...
Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by prerunner404
cool thanks for all your feed back thats what i was looking for the 454 isnt tired the guy upgraded to a 496 and the package deal was to hard to not pass up from what i have now. so ill see how the motor does and start accumulating parts for the swap.
You will be very pleasantly surprised that you will be able to find a complete Bravo Transom Assembly for $1000 or less. Your steering will work and most likely your cables. Your Y-pipe will also work if you are going through prop exhaust. You didn't say but I suspect with the 454 you also got the cooling pump and all the hoses as well as the Bravo bell housing and coupler. Dude...if you have an extra thou to throw at this thing save your self DOUBLE work, put the Bravo together and go run the $hit out of it...that's why you bought it anyway.
It's not that big of a deal...I'm doing it as I write this with twins. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...-update-4.html

If I can do it...you can do it.

You and your boat will have a great Summer and you won't be pu$$y footing around looking over your shoulder every time you get on a plane.

Now..if all you got was a long block...then you have some serious things to consider. All of us here can help you figure out what you need.

Just my thoughts...good luck with it which ever way you go.

Last edited by sprink58; 04-23-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Registered

what all is needed to swap over to the bravo setup? what can i reuse from my aplha set up?
Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by prerunner404
what all is needed to swap over to the bravo setup? what can i reuse from my aplha set up?
That will be easier to answer once you know what you got in the deal...but for sure you will need the Bravo Transom Assembly with the trim rams and pump. There have been a few for sale in the Swap Shop over the past few weeks. You just missed these for $250 each...representative of what comes available.http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ssembilys.html

Make a list of every thing you got for the 454.

Meanwhile...good but brief article.

http://www.allardmarine.com/alpha_to...conversion.htm

Last edited by sprink58; 04-23-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Registered

had a 454/alpha in a baja 24' for 4 years...beat the sh*t out of it...never broke anything....jmo
Old 04-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

A 454/330 is not the "optimal" engine to start with, unless you plan on maxing out around 425hp. It has small heads, cast bottom end, and none of the goodies you'll want for a performance platform.

If you are getting it for a song, then maybe that's worth it to you.
It's another 100 lbs in the tail end of your boat as well (which may be more than you want).
The bravo weighs about 50 lbs more as well.

A big block with an aluminum intake, and some headers (or aluminum exhaust manifolds) weighs the same as a stock smallblock. Add aluminum heads and you're even lighter.

Obviously budget plays a role here, and you're wanting to do it in stages - but if you swap in a 454 with your garden-variety Alpha, you should not go up in prop pitch much. If you are running a 19 or 21 right now, then don't go up more than 2" to minimize the additional torque on the gears. Even if the motor wants to rev past 4600, don't prop it up unless you want to roll the dice on the drive eating itself.

You can have twenty people tell you how their Alpha has lived forever on their hard running boat, but that doesn't do squat for you when you're waving your arms for a tow back to the ramp with a big rainbow of gear oil spreading out around your boat. The smell of gear oil also works as a reverse-aphrodisiac on women. They tend to get less frisky when they have to smell it.

A fresh Alpha can handle 375 ft lbs of torque without any problems and have a long life if it doesn't spend any time with the prop entering the water under power (jumping wakes, etc). A fresh 350/260 will put out around 340 ft lbs. A 454/330 cranks out more like 450ft lbs. Both motors have a torque peak of around 2800-3000rpm, which falls off as it picks up additional revs.

Just figure the more good information you have, the better you are equipped to make a good decision with your wallet.

MC
Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Also, I've had a lot of boats.

I broke a vertical shaft on a low-hour Alpha behind a stock 350/260 coming up on plane dragging a handfull of people on tubes. I was running a 21 pitch prop and knew I should put a 17 on for such stuff, but I didn't want to go to the hassle. As all of them started to break surface and plane, some guys fell off their double tube and it went upside down, and headed for the bottom like a submarine. The tug should have broke the tow rope. It didn't. The vertical shaft snapped right at 2900 rpm as the motor bogged under the load. THAT is how close an Alpha runs to max torque on a SMALLBLOCK, so you need to listen to the advice to baby it if you put in a 454.

I've gone through 2 sets of Bravos behind a pair of bone stock 502/410's - so don't be thinking that Bravos are bulletproof either. With additional power, you'll need billet top caps and good gears at bare minimum once you cross the 525 ft-lb border.

MC
Old 04-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i snapped a pre alpha vert shaft with a 400 small block that was essentially stock. (260 merc cam) of course it was a 79 24 sundancer. heavy old beast. but about the only boat that could take on sprinks 255 formula in a marine demolition derby. pre-alphas are a bit weaker with the spring pin hole drilled into the top.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.