Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What crank?  Eagle, Scat, Calias, Crower? >

What crank? Eagle, Scat, Calias, Crower?

Notices

What crank? Eagle, Scat, Calias, Crower?

Old 10-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The material, and a proper balance job from the CRANK is more important then anything else from what I have found.

My 427ci small blocks putting out 540HP just came apart for an inspection at 150 hours and there is nothing wrong with my Eagle Cranks or the entire rotating assembly from Eagle. I did how ever re-ring when I put it back together.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you said jet boat rite..stay away from the low buck forged crankshafts...jetboats spin high rpm's more so then a sterndrive boat so you want a crankshaft that can take the constant abuse..a decent cheap crank is a lunati or crower crankshaft that might live,,if he wants the best then he will want to spend the extra money on a bryant or a winberg crankshaft..http://www.winbergcrankshafts.com/ http://bryantracing.com/
Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The longer the stroke, the more concerned with crank quality I would be. I'd use a scat 3.76'' or 4'' stroke all day long and have no worries spinning it. Now, a 4.625'' stroke, i'd wanna be spending some money on the crank.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

The last two cranks I bought, 496 stroker and a 454 were both from Scat. The crank guy I use (about 900 years old) says Eagle are starting to suck now but Scat has got a lot better. I forget exactly what he said but but it was something like Scat is getting better because they are really trying to get into the higher dollar performance market in the U.S. and if their base stuff don't work no one will ever buy their higher dollar stuff.
Just like with bayliner in the 80's. Even though their yachts were very well built like everyone knows their entry level stuff was junk and almost took down the whole company.
Also just a FYI. One of the reasons people are having issues with the the snout breaking off is because they use fluid harmonic balancers. Let them sit more then a day or so and the fluid flows to the bottom and when you start the motor it's unbalanced and cracks the snout and then its just a matter of time.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the eagle cranks are strong,but the journal diameter is not consistant,at least on the ones i have used,i wont do any assembly with eagle cranks anymore.the scat cranks are better,and like chris vogt said,they are good if you dont use them in high hp or rpm applications.imo,the callies magnum crank offers the best value,and is a tough peice,and sizes are spot on on everyone i have used.if its in the budget,go with the calies magnum.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Great info guys, I am sure it will help him quite a lot!