Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Has anyone used a pressure washer sand blaster attachment to re paint a trailer >

Has anyone used a pressure washer sand blaster attachment to re paint a trailer

Notices

Has anyone used a pressure washer sand blaster attachment to re paint a trailer

Old 07-14-2002, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone used a pressure washer sand blaster attachment to re paint a trailer

I have a 95 trail rite trailer. I like the trailer but the paint was very poor quality. The paint was shot in 98. There is a sand blaster attachment for about 250 bones that will attach to a pressure washer. Does any one know if they work?

Years ago I tried a sandblaster that hooked up to my air compressor. it would take forever to redo my trailer with one of those.

My pressure washer puts out 3500 psi and if the sandblaster attachments works it might be a good way to strip the paint off my trailer.

Thanks for your experience
Old 07-14-2002, 04:32 PM
Banned

You can rent them at an equipment rental place. I used one to blast the bottom paint off my boat. It will get the paint off the trailer in short order. I used the finer of the two sands availiable, because I didn't want to rough up the gelcoat too much. You might want to use the coarse, but either will work fine. You will used more sand than you think. I used 550# to blast the bottom paint off a 20 foot boat. I think it cost something like 8-12 dollars a day. You won't need it for a whole day.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:48 PM
Registered

I used Emron paint after blasting my trailer
several yrs ago and it still looks good.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:57 AM
Registered

If you have a lot of rust scale, you can use a needle gun- it has about 20 hardened steel needles about 3/16 in round that hammer in and out. I use a water blasting rig that worked real good. You could also strip paint with aircraft paint remover, needle gun the heavier pits, and waterblast the leftover paint and light rust. Before painting, use a phosphate treatment such as Chem-Prime. for primer, you can get zinc chromate from a Sherwin-Williams dist. for about $40 a gallon. Top off with Imron or other urethane/polyurethane paint.
Old 07-17-2002, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drawback to wetblasting the trailer is that it will rust immediateley. The wetblastes work well with 3000 # pressure cleaners and up. A 4k is the preffered size however. The attachment with ceramic nozzles should not run more than 200 bucks to buy, 425 with the carbide nozzle..

Scott
Old 07-18-2002, 01:04 AM
Registered

Scott-

After water blasting, he can use the Chem-Prime. It is a phosphate treatment with zinc or manganese in it which bonds to the steel. It will dissolve light rust and passivate the surface, so surface rust from a couple of hours or even days of exposure will disappear. And, after treatment, it will prevent rust while the trailer is being painted. It is good stuff and well worth the $15-$20 a gallon. I would not paint anything steel without using it.

I once tested a piece of steel that was treated with chemprime and was not painted afterwards. There was hardly any rust after 10 or 15 rainy days.

Good luck!
Bulldog
Old 07-18-2002, 06:12 AM
Registered

don't forget a good respirator.....esp. with the imrons and zinc chromate....