Cam specs....opinions >

Cam specs....opinions

Notices

Cam specs....opinions

Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 28Eliminator
That Velocity must be a good hull. I'm impressed that you can go that fast with that setup. You are faster than me running a 509 & whipple, but you have way better heads, cam and more compresssion. I would love to get mine in the 90mph range.

It's seems to be a very fast hull (pad bottom). The owner of velocity told me that the boat runs a solid 84-85 with a 525efi. I felt that was pretty good. I haven't run mine yet, I bought it with a hurt piston and didn't want to go back stock. Which leads me to this build. My last boat was a Baja and it only managed 63-64 so I'm excited for the faster hull.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by cp5899
Thisislivin, that's basically exactly what I'm wanting. At the point I change the heads I'm hoping for 90. I talked to Steve stepp and he said with 600hp or close to it I should be in the 85-87 mph range.

What's wrong with the crane lifters you have? Are they not heavy duty enough? I'm Interested in picking the lifters up if they can work for me. Pm with price and details.

I may call bob this week as I'm getting real close to getting all my parts.

Thanks
Nothings wrong with them, I had them inspected when I had the motor apart by Ron at Dynamic Speed. I boat on Lake Huron and it's 30 miles to the nearest anything for me and I'm not afraid of the rev limiter. Like I said I had the motor apart and wanted to do this once and be done. I had a perfectly good set of GM dimple rods too that I swapped for a set of Eagle H-beams. The lifters are for a GEN V block. Tell me what they're worth to you, my wife would be happy I sold anything after she saw the price for the rebuild.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 AM
Registered

It's seems to be a very fast hull (pad bottom). The owner of velocity told me that the boat runs a solid 84-85 with a 525efi. I felt that was pretty good. I haven't run mine yet, I bought it with a hurt piston and didn't want to go back stock. Which leads me to this build. My last boat was a Baja and it only managed 63-64 so I'm excited for the faster hull.
Just saw this, I have a set of JE pistons at 4.560 and a set of GM dimple rods that have 50 hours on them. They are like new, they're flat top and -3cc for Valve reliefs. They gave me 9.1:1 with my old 117cc heads. I'd let them go cheap too, I can give you the number of my shop that did all the tear down and machining and they can give you a report on them.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 28Eliminator
That Velocity must be a good hull. I'm impressed that you can go that fast with that setup. You are faster than me running a 509 & whipple, but you have way better heads, cam and more compresssion. I would love to get mine in the 90mph range.
The best part is cruise speed is 55-60 and I get 3mpg, I can cruise a couple of weekends on a single tank and my trips are usually a minimum of 50 miles and I may make a couple of those each day.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:38 AM
Registered

Thisislivin, that's basically exactly what I'm wanting. At the point I change the heads I'm hoping for 90. I talked to Steve stepp and he said with 600hp or close to it I should be in the 85-87 mph range.

What's wrong with the crane lifters you have? Are they not heavy duty enough? I'm Interested in picking the lifters up if they can work for me. Pm with price and details.

I may call bob this week as I'm getting real close to getting all my parts.

Thanks
Here's what I found on the Crane site - The retrofit vertical locking bar lifters are machined from 8620 steel billet, heat treated, and assembled at our own facilities. Precision fit plunger assemblies are used to provide proper bleed-down rates, permitting high RPM use in properly set-up engines. The additional inherent strength of the 8620 material also maintains greater stability in the lifter body, permitting more consistent operation in very high spring pressure and high RPM applications, by keeping the plunger to body clearance consistent throughout the operation range.
Retrofit lifters also utilize our latest Monel pin and retaining flange assembly to attach the guidebar, providing superior long term durability.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
The best part is cruise speed is 55-60 and I get 3mpg, I can cruise a couple of weekends on a single tank and my trips are usually a minimum of 50 miles and I may make a couple of those each day.
How does that pad bottom affect the ride in rough water? Usually, there is a tradeoff when you go to a flatter hull for more speed versus a deeper vee that cuts the water.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
How does that pad bottom affect the ride in rough water? Usually, there is a tradeoff when you go to a flatter hull for more speed versus a deeper vee that cuts the water.
I find that the velocity likes speed, if you try to go slow and crash through the waves you will get beat up. The trick is to sync your speed with the waves. I have found that in 2' waves you better be doing 55mph or you will get pounded. I've done 3' waves at 60 and the ride was pretty good. Where it gets tough is when you have waves from multiple directions or reflections off of opposite shorelines. In Lake Huron there can be a storm 100 miles away and you could have a sunny day with no wind and you will see rollers at 2' - 3'. I will say this, after last summer I am looking at a 39', we had mostly 3' - 5' almost all summer with some 8' thrown in for good measure. I tried going out in that stuff and after launching the boat 15' off the water I came to my senses and headed back to the harbor. My wife told that she could see the bottom of the outdrive over the top of the rock wall of the harbor standing at the launch.