Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Any Metal Fab Guys-What small plasma cutter? >

Any Metal Fab Guys-What small plasma cutter?

Notices

Any Metal Fab Guys-What small plasma cutter?

Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by looseconnection
Thanks guys all good info. I will check the line, we have not replaced it ever. I assume overtime it can wear grooves. And we may be asking too much of it also. I will check out thermal dynamics and hypertherm totally forgot about those brands. The fab work is done by myself or my hot rod building employee.
I resolved an issue on a Lincoln wirefeed recently where the wire would feed very intermittently. It turned out that the cable liner, kinda looks like a spring, had a jag on the very end at the gun. Cut it back a 1/4" or so then cleaned it up with some needle-nose and we were good as new.

Miller vs. Lincoln is Ford vs. Chevy. I've been in ASME vessel shops that had either and sworn they were god's gift. I do see a lot more red/gray though when pipelining...
Old 04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Registered

Hypertherm makes the best plasma cutters hands down. I've had mine for years and use it on an almost daily basis. Works fantastic with no issues.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Registered

I have a Hobart for sale if you are interested shoot me a pm
Old 04-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

Hypertherm hands down. I've been in the metal fab industry for 11 years and my guys are still beating the tar out of our very first Hypertherm Powermax 600. I usually agree with most that big manufacturers are all comparable and it comes down to preference (Ford vs. Chevy, etc) but in this industry it's simply not true. Hypertherm is above and beyond. I've run most machines in automated applications and can tell you that Hypertherm is far more consistent and has grossly better consumable life than when compared to TD or others. Consumable life isn't a huge factor in hand plasma applications, but really manifests itself in automated applications.

Take a look at the Hypertherm 45 and 65 machines. Recently updated and great small shop machines.