Old 01-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Does merc lock the timing on the 1350?
Old 01-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
What did you not like about the 10* bushing?

This is how Mercury does it...... none of their motors are ever just locked

Stock Mercury motors typically don't have big cams that bleed off cylinder pressure at low rpm. I have a pretty big cam and I need as much advance at idle to keep it running smooth. That's also why I can lock my distributor and not have a problem with pre-ignition. If you are running a blower with a smaller cam than you definitely don't want to lock the distributor, you will have to much cylinder pressure at low rpm and detonate.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I should also mention that the start retard devices that use rpm to switch timing can be very problematic. When you have a big cam and are trying to maneuver into a tight space and are switching from forward to reverse, your rpm can drop below the switch point. Trust me, it's not fun your already struggling to keep your big cam motor idling low to keep from annoying the neighbors and you suddenly loose 10 degrees or more of timing. I'm running 10:1 compression with a big cam and I don't have any problems starting hot or cold with a stock Mercury starter.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I should also mention that the start retard devices that use rpm to switch timing can be very problematic. When you have a big cam and are trying to maneuver into a tight space and are switching from forward to reverse, your rpm can drop below the switch point. Trust me, it's not fun your already struggling to keep your big cam motor idling low to keep from annoying the neighbors and you suddenly loose 10 degrees or more of timing. I'm running 10:1 compression with a big cam and I don't have any problems starting hot or cold with a stock Mercury starter.
What are your cam specs? Lift and Duration at .050, with valve open and close #s, Are you supercharged running 10:1 Comp? Just tring to learn more about these things! Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a clean and right way to do it they will do custom curves and they are a Fully Electronic system.
http://performancedistributors.com/p...-distributors/
Old 01-04-2014, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Does merc lock the timing on the 1350?
i doubt it,fuel&spark are all controled by the computer,not old school like us poor guys run.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockfish71
Here is a clean and right way to do it they will do custom curves and they are a Fully Electronic system.
http://performancedistributors.com/p...-distributors/
we all have our opinions,i personally would not use the dui dist if they gave them to me for free.it is a glorified hei dist.

Last edited by mike tkach; 01-04-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know much about this conversation but I will say this...I bought 2 brand new msd distributers and after one season I took them apart and they both looked horrible all rusty and corroded. I put moister bags in the hatch and I don't even leave my boat in the water. Last year I switched over the the DUI and man I pulled them apart this month after a whole season and they looked like the day I bought them. Not one spot of rust or wear. Just like brand new! Some people say u loose hp with the DUI but on the water their is no way u can notice a difference. Maybe on the track when ur talking a fraction of a second. DUI makes a true marine dist.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I had my msd distributors rebuilt at msd a couple years ago, as they were rust buckets inside. When I got them back, they looked like new. I gave each distributor a coating of CRC Sp 400 corrosion inhibitor. It's not like wd40, it leaves a waxy film on the components. Anyhow, that was 3 years ago and they look very good still today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.