Lets talk distributers >

Lets talk distributers

Notices

Lets talk distributers

Old 12-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 4,311 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Question Lets talk distributers

I need 2 new ones... so MSD has a E-Curve distributor http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...stributor.aspx

Would be nice to set variable timing instead of locked out timing right?
This distributor eliminates the other MSD boxes.
My only concern is reliability.

Or send mine in to get rebuilt by MSD for $200

Or just buy 2 of these brand new units for $300

http://www.amazon.com/Mallory-85551M...pr_product_top

Any input is appreciated!
Old 12-31-2013, 01:23 PM
mgh
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the MSD E-curve distributor and hi vibration epoxy blaster coil, has a rev limit built in (adjustable) and a lot of settings available by turning two settings
Old 12-31-2013, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Custom bushings in the MSD. The least amount of centrifugal advance msd offers is 18 Degrees. We all love the better idling of more initial timing esp with a big cammed blower engine. A custom 10 degree bushing, will allow for 20-24 degrees of initial, and you can bring the timing in when needed with the spring combinations. Rebuild the distributors you have. That one with the bad bearing and scored shaft for sure.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:12 PM
Registered

Good plan Wild Thunder!

The END
Old 12-31-2013, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

im with wild thunder,bying new would be a major blunder.rebuild what you have,leave them locked as supercharged engines like the advance even at idle and you can use the money you will save to buy yourself a couple oso t shirts.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now they have rotary dial distributors? What's next touch tone tachs? Happy New Year. Randy
Old 01-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I tried the custom 10 degree bushing and went to a locked distributor. I also tried the MSD start retard box and threw it out. Locking the distributor was the best thing I did, great idle and incredible acceleration. I just make sure to get the motor turning before I bump the gas.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Id like to hear some of the pro engine builders thoughts on this. I myself have been running locked timing for a few seasons, they start fine and idle good. Its a very simple way to set things up, and works for me, but very old school.

My question, is with a boosted engine, in a heavy boat like icdedppl has, is the amount of timing at say 3000-3500rpm. With a full load of people and fuel, in choppy water, drives and tabs down a bit, he might be into boost at that low rpm. His engines at that rpm in a 30FT cat will probably be pulling a decent vacuum signal still. I notice most of mercurys older supercharged engines, like the 525sc, 600sc, 800sc, etc, all bring the max timing in late in the rpm band.

So for conversation purposes, lets say you dyno an engine. Lets say the engine likes 34 or 35* of timing. But, from a safety standpoint, you say, I am gonna set it at 30 or 32 degrees total, to prevent detonation. Lets say the fuel curve is right. At what point in the rpm band, would the engine be most likely to suffer from preignition? Back in my car days, I remember spark knock being more of a problem at low rpm, high load, than it is at high rpm high load. I can remember foot braking the car and you can hear it rattle itself if the timing was too far advanced. So, would it be better to pull a little timing from the lower rpm ranges, and bring the rest in when the engine starts to rev? And rather than pull max timing out to be safe, give it the timing it wants at wot, just don't bring it all in at a low rpm.

Some of these new ignition setups, like the programmable msd 6530 box, Daytona sensors I believe, Mallory maxfire, etc, can do some pretty intense stuff with the timing controls. You can really trick out a timing map using your pc or laptop. The question is, is it worth it. I don't know what guys like Eddie Young, Haxby, Chief Engines, Sterling, etc are doing as far as timing curves. I do find it hard to believe on the awesome engines they are building, that they are locking the distributor out and calling it a day.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I tried the custom 10 degree bushing and went to a locked distributor. I also tried the MSD start retard box and threw it out. Locking the distributor was the best thing I did, great idle and incredible acceleration. I just make sure to get the motor turning before I bump the gas.
What did you not like about the 10* bushing?

This is how Mercury does it...... none of their motors are ever just locked

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 01-02-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Mercury Might know something that some others don't! maybe! "just sayin"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.