Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 Mag water pumps not priming with new impellers. Time for new pumps? >

496 Mag water pumps not priming with new impellers. Time for new pumps?

Notices

496 Mag water pumps not priming with new impellers. Time for new pumps?

Old 05-13-2014, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 496 Mag water pumps not priming with new impellers. Time for new pumps?

Replaced impellers in my '04 496 Mags and now the pumps are having trouble priming. If I can get it to start pumping it seems to do fine. Two years ago my mechanic suggested replacing the pumps at the next impeller change but of course I didn't listen. The pumps are the brass (I think) ones from the earlier 496's. From what I can find you can't just replace the housing but have to buy new pumps. Is this correct? I know a lot of people install the Harden/CP Performance Stainless Pumps. Are these the best way to go? Where's the best place to purchase? Anyone offer an OSO discount?
Old 05-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is MANY MANY threads on this.

You can replace with stainless housings, OR they make a kit that you can install 2 thin stainless wear plates in the factory pumps, and then they work again.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:29 AM
Registered

I've done a ton of searches and managed to confuse myself even more. When you say replace the stainless housing, are you talking about with this kit? It doesn't seem like that would fit my pump since mine doesn't have the plastic housing. So do I have to buy the entire stainless pump assembly (listed here or is there a cheaper option?

I did look at the JC Marine kit that adds wear plates to the factory housing but the web site isn't real clear on whats included and what modifications are required for the mounting bracket. Also seems like a temporary fix?

Guess I need to get off my ass and call CP Perf.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jmeng
I've done a ton of searches and managed to confuse myself even more. When you say replace the stainless housing, are you talking about with this kit? It doesn't seem like that would fit my pump since mine doesn't have the plastic housing. So do I have to buy the entire stainless pump assembly (listed here or is there a cheaper option?

I did look at the JC Marine kit that adds wear plates to the factory housing but the web site isn't real clear on whats included and what modifications are required for the mounting bracket. Also seems like a temporary fix?

Buying the Gen 7 pump from Hardin with the pulley is the way to go. I have installed 3 of these in the past 12 months.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Only the Best Will Do!

Pm'd
Old 05-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did the same thing every year. Start the boat, then crack the petcock on each pump until it burps the air and you get a decent flow of water. It will take only a few seconds. Mine had me scratching my head. Then I pulled the petcock and it burped a little then I had water flow......

Last edited by low_psi; 05-13-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
Mine did the same thing every year. Start the boat, then crack the petcock on each pump until it burps the air and you get a decent flow of water. It will take only a few seconds. Mine had me scratching my head. Then I pulled the petcock and it burped a little then I had water flow......
Don't think thats it. Got it flowing good, ran it, and everything was great. Came back the next day and same problem all over again. Unless you're saying there could be air trapped in the system even after running it for a while? Doesn't seem likely.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't think thats it. Got it flowing good, ran it, and everything was great. Came back the next day and same problem all over again. Unless you're saying there could be air trapped in the system even after running it for a while? Doesn't seem likely.
Mine would only do it after being laid up for a winter season. Not every time....
Old 05-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Registered

Here is a link to my thread. it has links to both the new solid stainless pumps, and the rebuild kits with guild plates.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...-question.html

ALSO there was a bad batch of impellers. that where recalled... Mine that i just installed (ordered off amazon like 2 months ago) wher BARLEY out if the date range.. so something to think about as well.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Registered

I changed my pumps on my 496's to stainless steel and solved my water issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.