Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
496 Mags, impellers, I did a search allready odd question. >

496 Mags, impellers, I did a search allready odd question.

Notices

496 Mags, impellers, I did a search allready odd question.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 Mags, impellers, I did a search allready odd question.

So replacing both, and have a question.

I have 2004 model 496 mags. According to Mercruiser,

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...=SEAWATER+PUMP

I need 47-862232A2 part number. and when I try and order that part the O-ring / gasket is round in all the pics seen here.

But the pump housing, is odd shaped and the O-ring goes all around.

Like this

SO does the round O-ring just bend around and form to the odd shape, or am I looking at the wrong part number. Cause in the Merc diagram above (part 3) it shows the O-ring shaped like the housing but the part number they send me to has the round one.

????? thoughts?
Old 01-12-2014, 08:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mittens
So replacing both, and have a question.

I have 2004 model 496 mags. According to Mercruiser,

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...=SEAWATER+PUMP

I need 47-862232A2 part number. and when I try and order that part the O-ring / gasket is round in all the pics seen here.

But the pump housing, is odd shaped and the O-ring goes all around.

Like this

SO does the round O-ring just bend around and form to the odd shape, or am I looking at the wrong part number. Cause in the Merc diagram above (part 3) it shows the O-ring shaped like the housing but the part number they send me to has the round one.

????? thoughts?
It just conforms to the shape needed, post a pic of your end plate. Many times there is too much wear or groves worn in it that will make the pump basically inoperable. Your old impeller conformed to the groves because it made them, the new impeller will not.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:11 AM
Registered

This is not my pump, just Google images.

Just wanted to double check before ordering the part kit, X 2 for the job. want to have all the parts ready to go on hand. I hope the plat is not to worn, as the motors only have 220 hours total. but who knows.. IF they are past gone I will replace with stainless. But hopefully just new rubber and seal and put back together.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:20 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The O-ring is round. The housing is double pear shaped.

Use a little bit of Vaseline, or clear flexible silicone to keep the O-ring stuck in the grove when re-assembling the pump. It's MUCH easier to do this with the entire pump/pulley/housing in your hand, vs. half of it installed on the engine. (Can be done both ways, but the former is way better.)

Wrap a zip-tie around the impeller and cinch it down to lean all the veins over in the correct direction before insertion. Once you have the impeller half way inserted; cut the zip-tie with dykes and pound it in with a rubber mallet.
Use dish soap to lube your impeller when inserting.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Registered

Yes I have changed impellars many times just not with these pumps. (Older plastic housings) But will be lubeing with dawn dish soap. And taking the whole pump off.

Just wanted to make sure the O-ring was round and not pre shaped.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you have 220hrs I would definitely be checking the housings. Mine were worn after 120hrs & didn't want to prime. When I took the pumps off 1 fell apart in my hand ( meaning the shaft, front bearing, & seal fell out of the housing) the other shaft was ok but both housings had large gouges in the front and on the rear plates. JMO Randy
Old 01-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Registered

Well that's not what I wanted to here ha.

That is crazy low on hours for them to be wore so bad. I have seen black toros last 1400 hours. Sure hope mine don't have that problem...
Old 01-13-2014, 03:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

There is a company that makes rebuild kits with stainless wear plates for each end but I can't think of their name, Hardin Marine makes a nice stainless replacement pump for just over 1/2 price of a new merc unit. Hope that helps you out. Randy
Old 01-13-2014, 04:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
There is a company that makes rebuild kits with stainless wear plates for each end but I can't think of their name, Hardin Marine makes a nice stainless replacement pump for just over 1/2 price of a new merc unit. Hope that helps you out. Randy
The name of the company that sells the wear plates is JC marine. 928-505-5252 I put these in my pumps which had Badley scored plates and they have been working fine coming up 4 years.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:29 AM
Registered

I think this is the kit you are referring.. Thanks for the heads up Paul.

http://www.jcmarinellc.com/water_pump_kit.htm

I will keep this link handy, and if they are worn, order 2 of these with a quickness.

Also which side of the pump get the groves that mess everything up? Both? and does anyone have pics of how bad they is to bad?

Last edited by mittens; 01-13-2014 at 05:41 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.