Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
575SCI's, Thermostats and high temp alarm. >

575SCI's, Thermostats and high temp alarm.

Notices

575SCI's, Thermostats and high temp alarm.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Kurt, I can program the ecm so that you can run it ice cold without a thermostat. However, you should be able to get it under 140 deg with enough water. 175* is entirely to high on that engine, especially with 7 psi of boost. What drive and/or water pickups do you have? If it just has the side pickups, you can start plugging the top 2 holes. With a high X dim., the water will enter the lower holes and come right back out of the upper holes. You definitely need to get the water pressure up some more. That is way to low. I'm actually surprised that the oil isn't getting hotter than it is.

Terry, IIRC, we moved the location of your water pressure hoses from down in the block to up higher somewhere????Is that the case? If so, then they probably aren't getting clogged up. They still may be worth checking. If they are still down in the block, they will easily get plugged up and not read correctly. If you want, you can plug the next hole down on each side. You can also drill another hole at the bottom. You would need to make a lead-in to that hole like I did on the others. That should help a bunch. If you aren't comfortable doing it, we can certainly do it. We could schedule a day where we could make the mods, go run it, and you can just take it back the same day. For that matter, we can do it at the boat ramp. Just let me know if you need our help in any way.
Eddie
Old 08-25-2015, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

[QUOTE=Young Performance;4347340]Kurt, I can program the ecm so that you can run it ice cold without a thermostat. However, you should be able to get it under 140 deg with enough water. 175* is entirely to high on that engine, especially with 7 psi of boost. What drive and/or water pickups do you have? If it just has the side pickups, you can start plugging the top 2 holes. With a high X dim., the water will enter the lower holes and come right back out of the upper holes. You definitely need to get the water pressure up some more. That is way to low. I'm actually surprised that the oil isn't getting hotter than it is.

Thanks for replying Eddie. Drives are Sportmasters, with the pick-ups just under the bullet. I'll be sending you out the ECM's in the off season. -Have you seen this issue with high water temps on these 575's in other applications?
Old 08-25-2015, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Not that high. It has to be due to lack of water pressure. Have you checked the water hose that runs through the gimble? That plastic cone that holds the hose in place can collapse and cause a serious reduction in water flow. Is the X dim really high?
Eddie
Old 08-25-2015, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Have not checked the water hose but the boat was only used in salt it's first season, 2002. Bee on the lake since but I will check it for sure. X is not terribly high.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, you are correct. You moved the WP pickup point to the rear intake manifold. ...and I have not cleaned that out, but will try and do that this weekend, but engine is still running a little hot - so I'm guessing that the higher temp confirms that water pressure is actually low. Nonetheless, the hose needs to be confirmed.

I tapped and installed plugs in the 3rd hole down last night. I'll confirm if that helps on Thursday.

Thanks for the advice, sir!

Originally Posted by Young Performance

Terry, IIRC, we moved the location of your water pressure hoses from down in the block to up higher somewhere????Is that the case? If so, then they probably aren't getting clogged up. They still may be worth checking. If they are still down in the block, they will easily get plugged up and not read correctly. If you want, you can plug the next hole down on each side. You can also drill another hole at the bottom. You would need to make a lead-in to that hole like I did on the others. That should help a bunch. If you aren't comfortable doing it, we can certainly do it. We could schedule a day where we could make the mods, go run it, and you can just take it back the same day. For that matter, we can do it at the boat ramp. Just let me know if you need our help in any way.
Eddie
Old 08-31-2015, 02:59 PM
Registered

Installing plugs in the 3rd hole down from top (3 holes) plugged did not help nor hurt the condition. I'm planning to install a 4th plug this week, and see if I can get in and confirm the oil cooler is clean. That oil cooler is a MF'r to get to !
Old 09-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Registered

This weekend, I installed a total of 4 plugs in both drives and replaced sea pumps on both engines. No change. Still have low water pressure and high water temps.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Check your balls. Are they loose and dangling. Try shimming them up. I picked up a few pounds after doing this. Begin!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Registered

Ha - you and I have had that conversation on my other thread !

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...-advice-3.html

I removed the bottom plug from the side pickups - so now have a total of 3 plugs installed. I did notice something funny at Cumberland last weekend though. When turning right, water pressure goes down (to 2-3 psi) on starboard motor - when turning left water pressure goes up (to 10-12 psi) on starboard motor.

Does that mean the water intake hose is kinking or getting soft (too pliable)??

Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA
Check your balls. Are they loose and dangling. Try shimming them up. I picked up a few pounds after doing this. Begin!
Old 04-04-2016, 01:22 PM
Registered

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this situation before. Didn't get a reply last year, but it was late the in season.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by easyrider1340
Ha - you and I have had that conversation on my other thread !

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...-advice-3.html

I removed the bottom plug from the side pickups - so now have a total of 3 plugs installed. I did notice something funny at Cumberland last weekend though. When turning right, water pressure goes down (to 2-3 psi) on starboard motor - when turning left water pressure goes up (to 10-12 psi) on starboard motor.

Does that mean the water intake hose is kinking or getting soft (too pliable)??