BBC side by side spacing? >

BBC side by side spacing?

Notices

BBC side by side spacing?

Old 03-22-2016, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 1,492 Likes on 807 Posts
Default BBC side by side spacing?

I was going to take a break before getting my 32 project in paint and get the engines in. The boat was a 454 twin trs app and originally had log style exh manifolds. The center to center is 33 5/8" and that's stretching it. Gil's will not work so I have cmi etops which supposedly will fit with that center to center dim.

My question is if I lower engine #2 into place and find I am unable to being off by say let's say 1/8". Is it out of the question to space each of my forward mounts over each a fraction on each side? Only other option would be attempt to ding/dimple one or both of two inside headers. I have the offshore mounts. I know spacing each engine over a fraction on each side sounds like a bad idea but if it was only a 1/16th on each side then??? Would this lead to throwing the geometry of the shafts off enough to vibrate? Personally I wouldn't think so. On the other hand if anybody has done the similar install with narrow centers like 33 5/8 and had no issue then all is good. These are just low deck 496's.

Tks for opinions.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:21 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

What heads? Do they have raised exhaust ports or are they in the stock location. If they are standard BBC heads, the Etops will probably fit on 33 6/8" c to c but it will be TIGHT. Generally, we use 34" as a min.
Eddie
Old 03-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Registered

Tks YP for the response. I have dart pro 1 310's. I don't know of any other option other than either possibly the lightening slim headers or otherwise would have to have a custom set made up by either cmi or lightening. I previously had the engines fully dressed with cmi's on the floor stands side by side and is very difficult to get exactly in place (front / rear / angle etc but was very close being right around the c to c measurement I mentioned in first post. 33 5/8 plus or minus.

I guess what I'm asking in a nutshell is if there are any tricks to exaggerate the c to c dim if it comes down to it. Meaning like 1/8" or less. This project hardly warrants custom headers and my cams will not allow for original log style manifolds even if I still had them.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I herd that stainless marine will make there manifolds for this type of situation.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The inner transom has no wiggle room for angling the engines away from each other. And no way to adjust for drive alignment. You would have to hog out the holes the flywheel cover mounts to, and i think you would have short tailshaft and drive input shaft lives.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:15 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

My engines are on either 32 1/2 or 33 1/2 centers, I can't remember exactly. With a tall deck and raised port style heads, the CMI Etops just fit without touching. Actually, the way the tubes are routed, they pipes sort of fit between each other. To get the header onto the head I had to lower the header down, slide it back and then lift it up into place.

Stainless Marine Gen II will fit on your centers without any issues as that's what I run. I tried to run the Gen III but they didn't fit and were off by almost a half inch. Stainless Marine tried getting them to work by angle milling the two exhaust flanges but was still off by a half inch. You need a 34" center to run the Gen III.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Registered

Gonna set port side engine in Friday with hopes of having the starboard in shortly there following. Just have a little rigging to do in which case it clears so I don't have to pull it right back out. I'm gonna hope for the best and expect the worst.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
My engines are on either 32 1/2 or 33 1/2 centers, I can't remember exactly. With a tall deck and raised port style heads, the CMI Etops just fit without touching. Actually, the way the tubes are routed, they pipes sort of fit abetween each other. To get the header onto the head I had to lower the header down, slide it back and then lift it up into place.

Stainless Marine Gen II will fit on your centers without any issues as that's what I run. I tried to run the Gen III but they didn't fit and were off by almost a half inch. Stainless Marine tried getting them to work by angle milling the two exhaust flanges but was still off by a half inch. You need a 34" center to run the Gen III.
When I had engines marinezied with exhaust etc and sitting on the floor stands I can relate to what you were saying In regards to the tubes kinda intertwining to create a closer fit. By design for narrow centers or just luck I don't care as long as they go. So with what u said makes sense. If there is a will there is a way. Good to know though the gen ll's will clear as a back up plan.
Tks and will keep you posted.
Attached Thumbnails BBC side by side spacing?-image.jpg  

Last edited by getrdunn; 03-23-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah, they are offset by a half a cyl spacing. just like the other head on the same engine. so as long as they don't go forward or back at the very widest point, they will naturally intertwine...
Old 03-24-2016, 09:40 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
When I had engines marinezied with exhaust etc and sitting on the floor stands I can relate to what you were saying In regards to the tubes kinda intertwining to create a closer fit. By design for narrow centers or just luck I don't care as long as they go. So with what u said makes sense. If there is a will there is a way. Good to know though the gen ll's will clear as a back up plan.
Tks and will keep you posted.
The Etops were a PITA to get on and off and they got scratched here and there from having to lash the valves every year but they worked!

Gen II's fit with no problem. I also had Stainless Marine step the pipes up to 4 1/2" to help out with any power loss. I really wish I could have run the Gen III's though!!
Attached Thumbnails BBC side by side spacing?-gen2.jpg