Cmi tail issue? >

Cmi tail issue?

Notices

Cmi tail issue?

Old 03-31-2016, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts
Default Cmi tail issue?

New installs and after installed one engine today to make sure I have enough center to center I mocked up tails and I have port side that looks correct but the starboard side one is here and there and looks like its off but not sure if I wound up with custom tails however they were purchased as std tails. Any ideas of what to do. Will post a few pics from different angles so you can see what I'm up against.

Tks for any insight.
Attached Thumbnails Cmi tail issue?-image.jpg   Cmi tail issue?-image.jpg   Cmi tail issue?-image.jpg  

Cmi tail issue?-image.jpg  
Old 03-31-2016, 05:51 PM
Registered

Notice the one is two 2" higher than the other and also off about 22 deg to be perpendicular to the transom. Why is it this kinda of stuff never fails. I was more concerned with exhaust side by side clearance and now I have this to deal with. Make notice its not just the tip rather the whole tail is completely different angle (upward) compared to the other side.

I hate to cobble up the exhaust to in order to have the tips relatively close but not really the way I like to do things.

Is it possible one tail is bravo and other trs?

Last edited by getrdunn; 03-31-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:19 PM
Registered

Just a thought I wonder if it's possible if I spun the tail on the starboard side 180 and see how it compares to the other side. I see where it looks like there was a water tube on the other side of where it's at currently and appears to be welded up and polished. Unless those are normal. See last pic. Shot in the dark but it's possible. Easy enough to find out anyway.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 03-31-2016, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I would try all four tips and see where they end up. On my long gills, they only fit one way. Every single one is cut slightly different, but they all fit where they need to perfectly.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:06 AM
Registered

These aren't going to fit perfectly that's for sure. What they came off from boggles me but will make them work. Might have to make a cut and rotate and weld.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Registered

Evidently no one has run into this. Wtf... Ha. I called cmi today and going to send them out to have them see what they can do. I talked with customer service and they were extremely pleasant to talk with and even wanting me to ship to them cause the rep was baffled.

I'm also wonder if it's possible the port side one is a bravo tail and the other trs? Strange thing is they all look like they definitely come from the same home. They weren't piece mealed that's for sure. There in great shape.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

What we did was buy the 4 little pieces that mount to the header then used 4" PVC to mock them up. Ran screws through everything and sent them to CMI to make custom ones to fit. Worked great.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553358[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553359[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Cmi tail issue?-image.jpg   Cmi tail issue?-image.jpg  
Old 04-01-2016, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Port side definitely looks like a bravo, from the picture it looks like the starboard side has a kick up in it, not straight down from the flange. these where bravo's in my old Gun
Attached Thumbnails Cmi tail issue?-img_0421.jpg   Cmi tail issue?-img_0419.jpg  
Old 04-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
What we did was buy the 4 little pieces that mount to the header then used 4" PVC to mock them up. Ran screws through everything and sent them to CMI to make custom ones to fit. Worked great.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553358[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553359[/ATTACH]
I would definitely do that if I was unable to make these work. That's a great way to take all the guess work out of it for cmi.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
Port side definitely looks like a bravo, from the picture it looks like the starboard side has a kick up in it, not straight down from the flange. these where bravo's in my old Gun
Yes you can see the port looks as it should but the starboard definitely kicks up like you said. Why I have no idea. I'm gonna send in the two starboard shorter ones along with one of my port sides and have them match. I'd like to try and find dry ones about 12" longer and be done with it.