496 ho won't start >

496 ho won't start

Notices

496 ho won't start

Old 05-06-2016, 11:09 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

So you have smartcraft and what is the fault code and or number of the fault code displayed when you turn the key on to start engine ? Or how are you seeing a fault code when the key is turned on ?

your app looks like in the vid to have mechanical throttle and shift ? they have IAC and IAC muffler - NOT DTS it appears to look like in the vid.

I watched and listen to your vid. - Your alarm(s) is not that clear but IMO you (might) have a couple of faults. That alarm almost sounded like 2 faults of different values.

IMO YOU HAVE AN - ALARM / FAULT = DRIVE LUBE BOTTLE as it sounds like to me and possible another fault. The drive lube bottle is either very low of gear oil or the float is stuck at the bottom of the reservoir or the bottle / sensor is bad. Unplug the 2 wires to the bottle - did alarm go away or change ? This fault alone will still allow the engine to start.

More info to test - I would cycle the key about 5 times to allow the fuel pumps to prime the fuel system. Let the fuel pumps run until they stop. Do this cycle of the key about 5 times completely allowing the fuel pumps to run & stop - then crank over engine. Did it start or try to ?

Also IMO in your vid you are not cranking the engine over long enough or at least it sounds that way in the vid. On the 496 the crank and cam sensors need to sync with each other before the engine will start. Sometimes it takes a bit more cranking than a distributor based engine.

Again you need to build fuel pressure (prime the fuel system ) so cycle the key ^^^^ especially if you have weak fuel pumps or experience low fuel level or the ran the engine out of gas. In that case the complete fuel system will need to be primed.

Again do have tach signal when cranking the engine ?

what is your fuel pressure with key on and while cranking the engine . This will not give out an alarm nor fault code but a no start issue if the fuel pressure bleeds down or very low.

Water pressure sensor up till around 2005 had its location in the backside of the impeller housing. Unplug it, does the engine start ? Did that set a different alarm being unplug - if so then you know its not that sensor.

Last edited by BUP; 05-07-2016 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Lower end of the engine. Near the impeller.

Mine went bad and it took 2-3 months of chasing the issue to find it. Ended up having to use a scan tool and go cruising checking off things.

Turned out to be the water psi sensor that was like $40. Such a pain in the ass
It ended up being the psi sensor. I'm having a hard time finding one online do you remember where you got yours from thanks.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
So you have smartcraft and what is the fault code and or number of the fault code displayed when you turn the key on to start engine ? Or how are you seeing a fault code when the key is turned on ?

your app looks like in the vid to have mechanical throttle and shift ? they have IAC and IAC muffler - NOT DTS it appears to look like in the vid.

I watched and listen to your vid. - Your alarm(s) is not that clear but IMO you (might) have a couple of faults. That alarm almost sounded like 2 faults of different values.

IMO YOU HAVE AN - ALARM / FAULT = DRIVE LUBE BOTTLE as it sounds like to me and possible another fault. The drive lube bottle is either very low of gear oil or the float is stuck at the bottom of the reservoir or the bottle / sensor is bad. Unplug the 2 wires to the bottle - did alarm go away or change ? This fault alone will still allow the engine to start.

More info to test - I would cycle the key about 5 times to allow the fuel pumps to prime the fuel system. Let the fuel pumps run until they stop. Do this cycle of the key about 5 times completely allowing the fuel pumps to run & stop - then crank over engine. Did it start or try to ?

Also IMO in your vid you are not cranking the engine over long enough or at least it sounds that way in the vid. On the 496 the crank and cam sensors need to sync with each other before the engine will start. Sometimes it takes a bit more cranking than a distributor based engine.

Again you need to build fuel pressure (prime the fuel system ) so cycle the key ^^^^ especially if you have weak fuel pumps or experience low fuel level or the ran the engine out of gas. In that case the complete fuel system will need to be primed.

Again do have tach signal when cranking the engine ?

what is your fuel pressure with key on and while cranking the engine . This will not give out an alarm nor fault code but a no start issue if the fuel pressure bleeds down or very low.

Water pressure sensor up till around 2005 had its location in the backside of the impeller housing. Unplug it, does the engine start ? Did that set a different alarm being unplug - if so then you know its not that sensor.
I unhooked the psi sensor and it fired right up does that sensor really stop the motor from starting?
Old 05-09-2016, 10:20 AM
BUP
Banned

And in my last sentence posted to unplug water pressure sensor does the engine start ? I have not had one to NO start the engine but runs very poorly and is in guardian mode limiting power and some even stall the engine as it will not keep running - this fault does not offer 0 % engine power. The warning horn in your video sounded as for the lube bottle but with that fault - the engine still starts and runs.

Last edited by BUP; 05-09-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:22 AM
BUP
Banned

your first post said you get a fault code so what was that code or code number ? Did you scan the engine ? do you have have smartcraft gauges ? your fault will show on the smartcraft gauge .

So you just ONLY unpluged the water pressure sensor and the engine started right up. You did nothing else nor even cycled the KEY to build fuel pressure nor cranked over the engine longer ?

So if you plug the water pressure sensor BACK IN, does the engine start now ?

TEST THAT

Last edited by BUP; 05-09-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
your first post said you get a fault code so what was that code or code number ? Did you scan the engine ? do you have have smartcraft gauges ? your fault will show on the smartcraft gauge .

So you just ONLY unpluged the water pressure sensor and the engine started right up. You did nothing else nor even cycled the KEY to build fuel pressure nor cranked over the engine longer ?

So if you plug the water pressure sensor BACK IN, does the engine start now ?

TEST THAT
The code it has are 94 75 123 118 133 131 191. Do any of those codes stop it from starting? Thanks