Jesel Belt Drive, Crank turns Cam and Belt Stationary >

Jesel Belt Drive, Crank turns Cam and Belt Stationary

Notices

Jesel Belt Drive, Crank turns Cam and Belt Stationary

Old 06-12-2016, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
If a piston can't push it how can a valve ? Unless already open but there wouldn't be hydrolock if it was open. A spark plug can be removed. :wink: lol
Plugs on port side looked great. I am doubting hydrolock at this point, pull starboard plugs tomorrow.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hopefully it didn't happen, but I would think at least a couple valves were hanging open when the cam stopped turning and the piston contacted and bent a valve(s). A borescope would help you see, or when you get it back together and find one or more cylinders have no compression.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
Hopefully it didn't happen, but I would think at least a couple valves were hanging open when the cam stopped turning and the piston contacted and bent a valve(s). A borescope would help you see, or when you get it back together and find one or more cylinders have no compression.
Before I even tear into it any further I am going to back off the rockers and pressurize the cylinders. My plan is to start with the port side as it is easy access. If there is a bent valve, pull the motor, at that point I would have to take the front of the motor off and possibly both heads. Not fun to do in an engine bay. I have a leakdown tester so it will definitely tell all. Have to figure out a way to lock the crank so it wont spin when pressurizing, blower pulley has 1/2" drive insert that i can utilize in some way. I really feel like dropping this off and have someone work on it. My worry is backlog this time of year and getting it back before the 4th.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
Before I even tear into it any further I am going to back off the rockers and pressurize the cylinders. My plan is to start with the port side as it is easy access. If there is a bent valve, pull the motor, at that point I would have to take the front of the motor off and possibly both heads. Not fun to do in an engine bay. I have a leakdown tester so it will definitely tell all. Have to figure out a way to lock the crank so it wont spin when pressurizing, blower pulley has 1/2" drive insert that i can utilize in some way. I really feel like dropping this off and have someone work on it. My worry is backlog this time of year and getting it back before the 4th.
Youd be best to do it yourself than start more forum droma take a deep breath and get to it .
Old 06-13-2016, 09:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
Just let the air push the piston down...it will stop at bdc and let you do your leakdown. No real need to lock the crank down in this case.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by turbofox54
Just let the air push the piston down...it will stop at bdc and let you do your leakdown. No real need to lock the crank down in this case.
I did move the cam slightly, that is why I didnt really want the crank to move, could have changed the valve position just enough to hit? To detect interference I guess I can rotate the crank slowly via the blower drive 1/2" drive receptacle, if it makes a revolution I am good to go.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It would probably be quicker to just replace the belt and see if it has compression than it would be to back off all the rockers and do a leakdown test, you will hear it in the starter if it bent one. The damage is already done if it did bend things. The fact that all this seemed to happen while the motor was not running certainly helps your cause. I've seen so many interference engines not bend valves because they jumped either at startup or at an idle. I've seen the same engines absolutely destroy the motor from jumping at highway speed.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 575cat
Youd be best to do it yourself than start more forum droma take a deep breath and get to it .
I really need it running for Boyne Thunder. If it needs to come out of the boat I don't have a place to do that.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:02 AM
Registered

Like they said put the belt on and here what you got when cranking it over with the starter if it sounds even run with it .
Old 06-13-2016, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by donzi matt
It would probably be quicker to just replace the belt and see if it has compression than it would be to back off all the rockers and do a leakdown test, you will hear it in the starter if it bent one. The damage is already done if it did bend things. The fact that all this seemed to happen while the motor was not running certainly helps your cause. I've seen so many interference engines not bend valves because they jumped either at startup or at an idle. I've seen the same engines absolutely destroy the motor from jumping at highway speed.
Seems like a good plan there. Pull the plugs and if possible spin it by hand at the crank.

Not that it matters, but what are the odds of the belt just breaking and the wave was a coincidence?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.