B&M 250/420 Idler Question

Notices

B&M 250/420 Idler Question

Old 07-27-2016, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts
Default B&M 250/420 Idler Question

What's up everyone? Got a question regarding the idler/tensioner on my B&M 250, and hoping you guys can help.

My idler doesn't have a bolt coming out from the end opposite to the pulley. I have to adjust the tension using the slide anchor (a real pita!). Before I go tearing into the idler to try figuring out how to fix this (I swear, it's always something with this f'ing blower), has anyone taken apart one of these before? Is it easy to mess with? Anyone got a spare?

Thanks!
-Tom
Old 07-27-2016, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just set mine after installing new 250's. should be at least 1/2" of slack in belt according to manual. That pulley is spring loaded so it helps keep tension. May be able to find a bolt that fits the slide, think it's a long 1/4 or 5/16 maybe. Or if it's stripped use a smaller diameter bolt with a nut. The 4 set screws on the slide will hold her in place. If you try prying the slide I would only loosen the slide a small amount, it will tend to twist down as you add tension.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I can see that there's a spring inside the tensioner, but there isn't anything attached to the shaft of the pulley bracket itself. I'm not even sure how the pulley assembly stays in the housing. It seems like the pulley bracket has come out even further in the housing. Anyway, I have it adjusted with the slide anchor, but I know that's not the right way.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

i figured out how to get the idler assembly apart. This was out of necessity because I ran out of room just trying to get the belt back on. Sorry, no pictures, but it's easily explained:

1. Remove the idler from the slide anchor.
2. On the bench, flip the idler on its front. There will be a set screw amongst the anchor bolt holes. Remove this.
3. There's another set screw behind where the set screw came out in step 2. This set screw controls the maximum adjustment and keeps the idler shaft in the housing. Carefully remove this with the help of a friend (it's under pressure from the springs).
4. Remove the pulley from the idler shaft. Take care to not damage the bearings. Take note of how it came apart.
5. Remove anchor bolt from adjustment shaft to separate (may need heat, mine did).
6. Reassembly is in reverse order. Grease the brass-lined bore prior to putting it all back together.

On mine, some idiot over tightened the adjustment and broke the adjustment shaft. It's under some pretty decent pressure so I'm sure it hurt like a mother when it came flying out! To fix mine I butt-welded some 3/8 threaded rod onto the original shaft, cleaned it all all up, and reassembled everything. I can now set the belt tension per B&M's installation/adjustment instructions. This is tons easier than trying to do it with the slide anchor.

Hope this helps someone down the road!