Cryo-treatment???? >

Cryo-treatment????

Notices

Cryo-treatment????

Old 10-26-2002, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Cryo-treatment????

What is this process?On the MercTrans thread, Jpclear had mentioned cryotreatment. I am interested in anything that will increase the life of my TRS drives.

Kurt.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sure someone will give you a more scientific explanation, but heres the story as I know it, and Im not a metalurgist by any means. We've tested the process on cutting blades and gear teeth on Timken steel and the results were inconclusive. When you harden a steel, the molecules sometimes get disoriented. Tempering (a process that reduces the hardness a little but promotes durability) is usually done after the initial hardening. Cryo involves taking the metal down to very low temperatures (-100 something) that supposedly reorients the molecule chain giving the metal better durability (wear). I dont think it does anything for strength.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Removes all residual stresses in a workpiece. Does relax and realign crystal structures for a purer, more homogeneous (consistent) structure. This, alone, eliminates spots of disarrayed molecular bonding.

This process works well on brake rotors, as it makes for a rotor that is VERY resistant to warping (take note all owners of pre-2000 GM trucks, suvs).

It works well on shafts that are subjected to high torsion loads near machined areas or splines.

On gears, breakage should be reduced, but face wear will not be affected to any significant degree (cryo marketers will preach on how face wear is also reduced, but I have not seen such). Besides, face wear is reduced more effectively by using the correct synthetic lube...

In all, it is a good process that will cause NO negative results when done correctly. It can improve strength and make for a piece that is far more resistant to repetitive flexing. If you have a borderline application in regards to load ratings; polishing, proper gear shimming, and cryo can all combine to "pad your cushion".

Be aware that proper "soak" times at depressed temperatures followed by the proper thaw rate are imperative for proper results and each cool/soak/thaw profile varies for each alloy...
Old 10-28-2002, 08:41 PM
NEVRENUFF

Kurt,

There is definately some scientific evidence of improvements to rigdidity and tensile strength. I attended a presentation several years back and remembered that lots of people thought it was "hokus-pokus". But the guy doing the presenting along with some good looking data seemed real to me. I'm sure that it depends somewhat on the alloy and metallurgy of the original castings. I have some old information that I can dig up as well as talking to some experts that I know.

I'll let you know.

ps. that Warlock that I told you about had a Cryo-treated Alpha lower unit and the guy that owned it said that it outlasted several 260's that were run hard and abused.

Paul

Old 10-29-2002, 09:27 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

I had cryo-treated fron disks on my dually. The first original set lasted me almost 10k miles.....towing a 1984 30' SCarab around all over the place! I think what realy killed the disks was when the trailer lost all its brakes and i had to take the whole rig down a VERY steep grade in LOTO to launch the boat! There was smoke pouring out from the front for almost 2-3 minutes!!! I swear they were red when i stopped!!!

Anyway i had the new rotors put on and also had carbon matallic pads at the same time.......stopping with cold pads can be a little scary....but when they get heated up! WHATCHOUT!! i almost busted my teeth a few times!! LOL.....and almost 25k miles later there looked to be almost next to no wear on the disks!! I can say i woudl spend the money on them again.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!