Electric fuel pump to carb question >

Electric fuel pump to carb question

Notices

Electric fuel pump to carb question

Old 05-07-2024, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electric fuel pump to carb question

Hi, so I have a Edelbrock 1410 carb. And currently the boat has a fitech electric fuel pump ( car version). There is a pressure regulator with return line to the tank just before the carb. I want to put the Holley 97 gph rlectric marine fuel pump instead. The current pump is on / off by the ignition switch with a relay. But not by way of the oil pressure switch as many recommend. Is it dangerous to keep this set up with the new Holley? I see only 1 wire coming off the top of my oil près switch, so no idea how to run the fuel pump from that....
Old 05-07-2024, 01:38 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 952 Likes on 480 Posts

So your current oil pressure sending unit is just sending variable ground signals to the gauge. Its basically a resistor that changes value as the pressure changes. You would have to measure the output of the sending unit to see if you could wire it to a relay to trigger the fuel pump. But I'm not sure if there is enough of a ground signal for it work properly or if it will affect the gauge readings.
Ideally you would get a "T" fitting and place two sending units there (unless you have another oil port to work with) the new sending unit for the fuel pump would have 3 posts on it. And your in luck as i was just going over some of my notes here....the part number for the sending unit is
Standard Motor Parts (PN PS64)
OR Carter Fuel Systems (PN A68301)

Its a common GM part used on Vegas, Monzas and some pickup tucks from the 70;s through the 80's
If you want the electrical contact to make it look more factory the its:
# PT139 from AC Delco

See pic above for wiring
wish i could remember where i got this from but its off the net somewhere..

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!