Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
erratic oil press/raw water press. >

erratic oil press/raw water press.

Notices

erratic oil press/raw water press.

Old 01-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
Default erratic oil press/raw water press.

after the helpfull hints @ cleaning up the 502 ..new s/s exhausts ,fuel press regulator & breather here we go again...

I have rigged up a tool that allows me to run the engine in the yard with TWO water hoses to the flushing attachment.I know that you don't get an exact same situation as running overboard but pressure is good enough to blow some water out of the flushette at a fast idle.There is a BIG difference in the water dumping out of the tips !Stbd side pumps like a SOB ..Port side just a spitting.. after a few minutes stbd side is cool like it came out of refrigerator all the way from manifold to exh tip Port side manifold is slightly warm tube to transom is VERY warm as is exh tip and much steam @ exhaust tip .Water pump is brand new ..probably only 4 minutes on it.. old one disentegrated (without overheating or running dry) and we got all the pieces out of the system back flushed the FWC system and inspected the heat exchanger tank ends.. all tubes are spotless and open.
Mechanic thinks everything is normal and we will be fine when we go over... I somehow doubt it .

Also .. is it normal for a 502mpi to give erratic oil pressure readings.. ours never has gone over 41 LB but now sometimes won"t go over 30 unless you really push it... eng has only 154 hrs on it if thats helpful.

You know.. after running sixes and V8's for years I thought that this new computerized injected modern wonder would be bulletproof and 100% consistent but now I'm not so sure

Thanks for all the input !
Old 01-13-2003, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If oil & filter is new I think over an idle you should have more pressure but I do not have a stock oil pump so might need to here from someone else.

On water I do not think you have problem. Since you are running off of hose you may not have enough water going thru engine. Water is taking the path of least resistance thus 1 cool side & 1 warmer.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member

I certainly hope that's what is happening with the water situation..I just don't want to go over and have any unpleasant surprises .

Look forward to a little input on the oil pressure question..Oil and filter changed 2 hrs running time ago.

Thanks/Steve
Old 01-14-2003, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do a search here on OSO on oil filters you will find talk about small amounts of water in the oil pluging up the filter & causing the pressure to be low. I since have started buying the high $ filters, cheaper than rebuilding the motor.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

Yet another avenue to explore... although there is NO evidence of water in the oil..sounds like something else to loose sleep over !