Transmission Fluid Leak, Can Not Find Cause?? Long >

Transmission Fluid Leak, Can Not Find Cause?? Long

Notices

Transmission Fluid Leak, Can Not Find Cause?? Long

Old 03-16-2003, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Leak, Can Not Find Cause?? Long

I have been working on my boat non-stop over the winter break. I have been working on everything except the engines. I have opened the engine hatch numerous times to be able to get to some bolt for parts but yesterday something was very strange.

Yesterday, I opened the hatch and see red fluid at the bottom of the floor under the starboard engine. I looked a little closer and the fluid leak looked to begin right at the transmission fluid cap resevoir. I opened the cap up and the fluid could not have been any closer to overflowing off the sides of the resevoir.

So, I cleaned up the leak on the floor and around the cap and resevoir. I worked a few more hours and thought I would check it out again, and again, a small about of fluid running down just under the cap of the resevoir tank. So, I dipped a clean papertowel in the fluid to reduce the level just a bit so it would not be sooooo close to overflowing.

Just checked this morning to see if their was a leak present and NOPE, it all looks good!!

With that all said, knowone has even touched either engine since I had them winterized in October. Like I said, I have opened the engine hatch countless times over this winter break and found no leak until yesterday. Is their a ryme or reason for why this might have happend that I am not aware about, maybe drastically changing Oklahoma temperatures??? I don't know??? I mean it really looks like someone jumped into the engine compartment and filled that resevoir as full as it would go, but I know that didn't happen..........I THINK???

IF ANYONE KNOWS WHY OR HOW THIS LEAK MIGHT HAVE HAPPEND PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Sorry so long!!!!
Old 03-16-2003, 10:05 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe an air pocket, then the temp change and there ya go !!!! I would keep an eye on it, but not panic yet.