Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Adjusting Valves >

Adjusting Valves

Notices

Adjusting Valves

Old 06-12-2003, 01:51 PM
JON242

Default Adjusting Valves

What method do you guys use to adjust valves when using a flat tappet hydraulic cam? The best way is probably with the engine running but that's a big hassle and a mess. What's the best way without running the motor (it's on an engine stand in my garage). Since the motor hasn't run in about six months do I have to be concerned with the possibility that the lifters have bled down during that period of time? Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 06-12-2003, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know the best way but, Crane Cams web site www.cranecams.com/master/adjustvt.htm explains their method. Or search adjusting the valve train on their home page.

I have a pair of Innovation 500s with 160hrs and one motors has alot of clatter. Is it common to have to adjust them or should I have it looked into more?
Can you check spring tension without removing them?
What else can you check with just the valve covers off.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon.. I would ask, has the engine been apart? Are the lifter new? Why are you adjusting the valves? The method I always use successfully, but a little trickier with new lifters is this. Turn engine until #1 intake valve just closes then another 1/4 revolution of the crank. Tighten the rocker nuts (intake and exhaust on that cylinder) until you feel a slight resistance when spinning the pushrod between two fingers. At that point, tighten the rocker nut 1/2 turn and lock down (if applicable). Then go to number 2 and repeat consecutively through cylinder 8. You'll find with this method the cranking over of the crankshaft is minimal until I think number 8 in which you need to go a full revolution to get the valves (cam lobes) in the correct position. Never a problem with this method.

Innov500.. I never owned a 500hp, but have read a lot. The inner valve spring may be your problem. Stop and check it before breaking a lifter roller or worse. Do a search on this site and you will find I think 200 hours max on those springs. There was a certain year and make of the 500 with this problem, not sure if you fit or not.

BT