Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Closed cooling?? how do I do It?? >

Closed cooling?? how do I do It??

Notices

Closed cooling?? how do I do It??

Old 02-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Closed cooling?? how do I do It??

OK, i have a stock system for running in the fresh water of ther great lakes. Now I am taking th boat to Florida Shoul dI go to the Closed Cooling because the whole Flushing sound like a poain in the ass..plus I have a Edelbrock RPM Aluminum Intake..SO where I I start...can you please pint me in the right direction ??? Thanks

Im in the Tampa St pete area..
Old 02-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

You'll still have the pain in the ass flush to do.

Heat exchangers and exhaust manifolds need love too.

G
Old 02-01-2004, 11:18 AM
Banned

I put it on my SBC a couple years ago. The kit comes with instructions that are easy to follow. The hardest part is getting the threaded plugs out of the manifolds and risers that you don't use now. The first plug took us 6 hours to remove, and these were nearly brand new exhausts. We stripped the thing of course first of all, then ended up having to chisel and dremel the damn thing out. I asked around about an easier way, and George from Boaters Ed said to heat up the boss around the plug, then put a cube of ice on the plug itself. The second plug took about ten minutes. The only problem I had after installation is the alternator couldn't rotate enough without hitting the tank. I just bought a slightly shorter belt, problem solved.

I bought mine at Oceans East Marine . They were good people to deal with. The kit was missing a couple of fittings that I bought. I emailed them about it, and he told me to send the receipt and he would reimburse me. It was only $14 for the fittings, so I never bothered to send the receipt. A week or so later I got a check from them anyway.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Registered

Running Dry exaust would be a good idea too... That way you contain the salt water to the exchanger. You still want to flush it, but it's nice not to worry about your block rusting away if you go to an island / resturant / beach / etc. Dry exaust would also allow for more agressive cams, etc...
Trust me, the flushing IS a pain. Either way, I suggest you install an internal washdown system - Put a 1.5" or 2" Tee and connect to a valve, and a hose fitting. A lot easier than muffs, especially on a lift or if it's staying in the water.
~Paulr