Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
I got some water in my oil - what should I do? >

I got some water in my oil - what should I do?

Notices

I got some water in my oil - what should I do?

Old 04-10-2004, 02:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I got some water in my oil - what should I do?

I just changing my intake with a Edelbrock hi rise and started it up to test it. It ran a couple of minutes and when the thermostat opened up I noticed a small leak on the outside. I took the manifold off and discovered that water had also leaked into the lifter vally and got the oil a little milky. I immediately changed the oil and filter and replaced the intake with a new gasket and more silicone sealant. I don't think I hurt anything since I only ran it a minute or two, but what should I do now to make the oil is OK? I was thinking about letting it run for a few minutes and changing the oil. Repeating if the oil still looks milky. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:24 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Run it a little while, then change the oil and see what comes out. I doubt if you hurt anything...
Old 04-10-2004, 09:06 AM
VIP Member

Change oil a few more times. I had a similar problem once and had about two quarts of water in engine. It took seven oil flushes to get it all out.

After you think it is clean, run it for 20-30 minutes on the hose and make sure it is all good. Then when you put it in the water run it for 1 minute and then check again.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had raised a boat that sank last year and went to work on it right away. Changed starter, carb , Ign etc.
Changed oil many times. A thing that really helped was to keep the breathears off as well as the fill caps when running, so that vapors could escape. If you have breather tubes that go to the spark arrestor, leave them off even after you think all water is gone. Water will condense in the carb. Otherwise and cause more problems. Hope it works out well. BBB
Old 04-11-2004, 08:45 PM
Banned

If you have emulsified oil, run half oil and half diesel to cut it out, then refill with oil and check it. Should only have to do it once. If there is still water, drain half the oil, and add more diesel.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Registered

Thanks for the suggestions. The first time I changed the oil it looked kind of milky, just did it a second time and it looked slightly lighter than normal. I will again after running it and see what it looks like. Probably will at least two more times. Thanks for the suggestions.