Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Small Block Chevy Cam Selection ?? >

Small Block Chevy Cam Selection ??

Notices

Small Block Chevy Cam Selection ??

Old 04-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Already have heads, intake, and carb - gotta good deal and hope I can make it work. Ever down near Detroit, I need help putting motor together - I cant do it (have Red Wing, Piston playoff tickets - ha,ha). Looking at one of your older pictures, you have black exhaust manifolds, where those Crusader 4 inch center risers. I am looking at GLM aluminums (on a money crunch) looking for the best bang for the buck. Any guesstimate on horsepressure with my setup. Asking now, cause what props should I be looking at as well.

Thanks alot for the responses !
I really hope this all works (wifes getting pissed at the money spending)
Old 04-25-2004, 08:24 PM
Registered

I haven't been to deeetroit in a long time I really don't have any time to my own stuff working 60 hrs a week LOL! If i get some extra time I will let you know.

That exhaust were EMI's with aluminum risers

Now I have the EMI manifolds with the stainless tube risers.

A good estimate would be around 370-380 hp I am thinkin..

Run your stock stainless prop with this new motor and decide how many rpms you need to go down, then order a new prop with more pitch.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:45 PM
Registered

What type park plugs should I run? Should I use the rubber type valve cover gaskets or does it really matter.
Any difference going from the Center rise cast iron manifold vs a cost efficient aluminum manifold (glm for instance). Any other useful hints
Thanks again, I'll stop its just cool (yah... and exciting)knowing someone that had done similiar and can trust.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:55 PM
Registered

Contact edelbrock and tell them what heads you have, they will tell you what plug to run.

The valve cover is probably premiter 4 bolt, just use the double layer cork with the metal in between. if its center bolt ( on top of the cover in a straight line , used from 1988 and up in gm motors) use the rubber one from gm.

On that particular motor, the center rise stock exhaust would probably be fine. When you start making alot of horsepower then the exhaust comes in handy. The only gain going to aluminum is the wieght savings.