Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
HELP!!!   Lab finished and I lost MPH's? >

HELP!!! Lab finished and I lost MPH's?

Notices

HELP!!! Lab finished and I lost MPH's?

Old 05-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Re: HELP!!! Lab finished and I lost MPH's?

EXPRESS CAT39 shoot me your # and I, will call you,The phones have slowed down now.
Sorry you could not get through.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP!!! Lab finished and I lost MPH's?

If you sent them out to be lab finished, what did you want for a result? I called Merc a while back about my props and they wanted to know what I was looking for. I said my RPM was right where I wanted it and they said I don't need them finished.

Maybe this was not the right answer, but isn't there a goal when having your props done? Adding pitch, taking pitch out, bow or stern lift, raising rpm, lowering rpm. What does "lab finishing" do without a specific purpose? Just wondering.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:54 AM
Registered

Good question Pure Energy,

It seems as if "lab finishing" means about as much as "rebuilt". Everyone has a different definition. "Lab Finishing" is a term Mercury came up with. I have seen what some shops call "lab finishing" to be nothing more than sharpening the leading edges.

We also ask our customers what they are looking for in prop work. Many customers don't need lab finishing but only adjustments done to the props which does not require the extensive work involved in the lab finishing process.

If done to Mercury's standards the "lab finishing" process is very time intensive. For example; it takes about 5-6 hours to make a 6 blade prop race ready. That's why it should cost about $100 a blade to do the work. It takes over an hour just to work the cup on a 6 blade prop. Figure about an hour per blade to make the prop right. In a full day I will only work two props from start to finish.

"Adding pitch, taking pitch out, bow or stern lift, raising rpm, lowering rpm. What does "lab finishing" do without a specific purpose? Just wondering."

The goal is to improve the efficiency of the prop thus making it easier to turn resulting in a speed increase.

"Lab Finishing" by our definition, means making the prop to design specs. All of the blades are the same shape, diameter, cup should be matched, pitch matched, edges finished and areas of high stress are finished to reduce the possibility of cracking. If it is a twin then the two props are matched to each other.
It's important to note that all the adjustments to a lab finished prop can be done to a stock prop. Cup adjustment, pitch adjustment, diameter adjustment, etc. We work with many who don't need a lab prop but do need adjustments done to the stock props so they perform to the owners desires.

Matt
Old 05-22-2004, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lab finishing without reason,would be >

1> they will be perfectly balanced.

2> perfectly in pitch

3> thin for better accleration in mid range

4>reducing thickness will lessen chances of wiping out prop shaft or shafts under impact.

hope this help some.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Registered

Now those were some good explanations! Thanks Prop Pos.