Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best way to install transom hardware ??? >

Best way to install transom hardware ???

Notices

Best way to install transom hardware ???

Old 07-18-2004, 07:39 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Best way to install transom hardware ???

I finshed my transom replacment / repair. I need to know what is the best way to install new hardware, through bolts, screws, ect. I want do do it right sence thats what rotted the transom last time..... Step by step if not to much. Do you fill hole with sealent then push bolt through? Also what sealent is best? Thanks Kyle
Old 07-18-2004, 09:00 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Default Re: Best way to install transom hardware ???

You'll be using 5200 for the permanent hardware, and 4200 for the removable hardware. Try to work the sealant into the hole. Don't fill it, but work it into the wood fibers. Let it set for a bit and then do it again. Take your time and cover everything. Let this set over night and then come back and insert the bolt. Otherwise you could scrape the sealant off. Start to insert the bolt and before it seats run a generous bead around the base of the bolt. You don't want to pull the sealant all the way through the transom, but you do want to pull it into the hole. You also want a bead that runs all the way around the bolt. You don't have to seal the entire part though. Just the bolts.

The screws are a bit different. Predrill the hole. Then take a reducer tip and inject the sealant into the hole. Try your best to fill it up all the way. Don't fool yourself, make sure it's full. Have a little blob left over to again help seal the screw head.

Don't freek out over the excess. A little 3m adhesive remover and a handfull of paper towels will clean it right up-at least while it's still wet. If you let this stuff dry, then you have a project.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:38 PM
Danny_Ocean

After drilling new holes in the transom for exhaust outlets and other items, I saturated the wood first with Rot Doctor (a thin/watery epoxy-type product that soaks deep into wood). They sell a special pump, but I used a turkey baster. After 2 or 3 applications of that, and letting it dry a few days, then I went ahead with my installation using 5200 on everything, using generous amounts throughout the entire thickness of the transom.

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Old 07-24-2004, 03:47 PM
Registered

These guys are right... but 4200 is a quick dry that hardens like 5200. 5200 takes 24 hrs to set up, So do not use 4200 or 5200 on screws that may be removed in the future. Life Seal are for screws that are under the water line, i.e. transducers, paddle wheels, etc. Thru hull is always 5200 for transducers. ALL screw holes should be counter sunk to avoid spider cracks or chipping. Do not make the screw hole too small other wise you will shear the head off the screw. Large holes (transom assembly) should be all epoxy to seal the wood.